fWho Can Use the Wellness Center?
- All full-time or part-time undergraduate and graduate students
- Residential or commuter
- Signed parental consent must be on file if under 18 years of age. Emergency and reproductive health services are exceptions.
- Some miscellaneous charges, such as diagnostic tests, physical exams, and treatments
- Payment is expected at time of service
- You may pay by Bowie Card only or pay at Cashier’s Office located in the Henry Admin. Building and bring receipt to your appointment
- Fee schedule
Henry Wise Wellness Center Services
- Primary Care
The health center is an ambulatory facility, much like a doctor's office or small clinic, treating routine illnesses and minor injuries. Please call 301-860-4170 for an appointment.
- Allergy Injections
Some types of allergy injections are given at the Wellness Center. The student must provide written instructions and serum from their allergist. Allergy injections are by appointment only and are done on Tuesday mornings between 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m., while the physician is on site. For additional information and copy of needed forms, click here.
- Women's Health
The center provides routine pelvic exams, breast exams, pap smears, contraceptive care, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections, HIV antibody testing, and pregnancy testing. Classes are required before pap smears are scheduled for first timers. The Wellness Center also works in collaboration with the Prince George's County Health Department's HIV and Family Planning program to provide contraceptive and health education services to students. For additional information on women's health, click here.
- Men's Health
Diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation for male genitourinary problems such as sexually transmitted infections, prostatitis, non-gonococcal urethritis and referrals for hernias. Screening for testicular cancer and testicular self-examination is taught. For more information, click here. For general men's health information, click here.
- Smoking Cessation
Counseling, education, and medical intervention to assist students in tobacco cessation is offered at the Wellness Center. Call for information. To arrange an individualized appointment, click here.
Henry Wise Wellness Center
Local Health Care Facilities
|Prince George's County Health Department||301-883-7879|
|Bowie Health Center||301-262-5511|
|HIV Testing—Wellness Center||301-860-4170|
|HIV Testing—Prince George's County Health Department||301-583-7752|
|Henry Wise Wellness Center||301-860-4170|
|Doctor's Hospital, Lanham, MD||301-552-8118|
|Prince George's Hospital Center||301-618-2000|
|CVS Laurel-Bowie Rd (197)||301-262-8400|
Other Important Numbers
|Campus Emergency: Police, Fire & Rescue||301-860-4040|
|Maryland Poison Control Center, 24 hour/day||800-222-1222|
|Off Campus Emergency||911|
|Rape & Domestic Violence||301-860-4040|
|Director|| Rita Wutoh, MD, MPH|
|Nurse Practitioner||Li Lin Chiu, CRNP|
|Nurse Practitioner||Euwanna Heard, CRNP|
|Clinic Coordinator||Mrs. Virgilia Walker|
|Program Coordinator, Sexual Assault|
Ms. Simpdy Merelan
Medical Absence Excuses
Medical excuses are provided at the discretion of the clinical staff. The student is responsible for meeting each instructor's requirements regarding class attendance.
Missing class due to a routine illness such as a cold should be discussed with your faculty member. Medical excuses are not given for these types of illness or due to appointments with the health center that could have been scheduled at other times.
Make your appointment for a time that does not conflict with your classes.
Under no circumstances will we verify illness or absence for anyone not treated by staff.
Students are seen by appointment only. It is advised that students make scheduled appointment for a time that does not conflict with their classes.
- Please be on time for your appointment.
- If you need to cancel or change your appointment, please call 301-860-4170.
Client Satisfaction and Complaints
- Periodic client satisfaction surveys are conducted.
- A suggestion box is available in the waiting room for comments and suggestions.
- All medical records are confidential.
- Access to information is limited to authorized Wellness Center personnel, unless you give written consent or upon receipt of court-ordered subpoena (this policy is in accordance with The Family Rights and Privacy Act).
- Medical records are destroyed five years post-graduation and/or withdrawal.
- All students are strongly advised to have a health history/immunization record from their physician on file at the Wellness Center.
- All full-time undergraduates are covered by the student health insurance policy.
- No insurance billing is done by the Wellness Center.
- We recommend that you get some form of insurance coverage in the event you need hospitalization, surgery, complicated diagnostic procedures, or medications not carried by the Wellness Center.
- Check to see if you are covered by your family's policy.
- Please let us know your insurance requirements before we order any diagnostic tests or prescription medications.
Insurance website: Bowie Student Insurance
What to do if...
- You are ill or injured away from campus and cannot return for several days
Notify the director of Henry Wise Wellness Center at 301-860-4170.
- You are sent to the hospital by ambulance
You must make arrangements for your own transportation after your release.
- You are concerned that someone may injure himself or others
Call Campus Police at 301-860-4040.
- You are depressed or anxious
Call the Counseling Center at 301-860-4160.
- You have a question or concern that cannot be resolved by the Wellness Center or Counseling Center staff
Contact Ms. Thomasina Boardley, Assistant to the VP for Student Affairs at 301-860-3394.
Confidential HIV antibody testing is available at the Henry Wise Wellness Center twice monthly. Appointments are not necessary. Individuals are taken on a first-come, first-served basis. The service is free of charge and provided by the Prince George's Health Department.
HIV testing is conducted every Wednesday by Prince Georges Health Department from 10am to 2pm on a walk in basis. No appointments necessary for HIV testing. The Health Department will also screen for Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia. Testing is confidential. Results will be provided after one week by calling into the health department.
Testing for HIV is available at the Wellness Center by appointment.
HIV Testing Methods
There are several types of testing methods available:
- Home Access: Blood test with a finger prick. Available over-the-counter at Wal-Mart and drug stores. Can also be purchased online. It is the only FDA-approved home testing kit. Cost: $44.95. Website for more information: http://www.homeaccess.com/.
- OraSure: Draws out mucosal fluid and antibodies from the lining of the mouth cheek. Available through a physician or HIV test site. FDA-approved in 1996.
- Blood Test: Needle stick to draw blood. Tests for HIV types 1 and 2 through the ELISA antibody test with confirmation by a Western Blot test as indicated.
- Rapid HIV Test (OraQuick Rapid HIV-1 Antibody Test): Needle stick to draw blood. Results in 20 minutes. Tests for HIV type 1 only and positive result needs follow-up testing for confirmation