The Bowie State University Community
Tammi L. Thomas, Director
University Relations and Marketing
October 4, 2010
President Obama Visits BSU for Political Rally
On Thursday, October 7, 2010, President Barack Obama is scheduled to attend an afternoon event on the campus of Bowie State University to rally voter turnout for the election in November. Governor Martin O'Malley and Lieutenant Governor Anthony Brown, also, are slated to attend. The rally is free and open to the public.
Please note this is not a University function. Bowie State classes will be in session as scheduled.
A First Choice for National Leaders
Bowie State University, a regional comprehensive university of the University System of Maryland, is the oldest HBCU in the state and the fifth oldest in the nation. Bowie State embraces cultural diversity, including its African American heritage; emphasizes its foundational heritage in teacher education; facilitates interdisciplinary learning; fosters research; and produces graduates who think critically, are competent in their disciplines, and demonstrate technological astuteness.
Our proud history is a foundation for the institution's aspiration of becoming the best public comprehensive university in the nation. Situated in the Baltimore-Washington-Annapolis triangle, many national leaders, such as those highlighted below, recognize Bowie State as a pivotal location in reaching audiences and engaging in critical outreach efforts.
- In 2006 U.S. Senator Obama visited Bowie State to rally voters in the upcoming election.
- In the fall of 2007 Lt. Governor Brown held a BRAC subcommittee at meeting at Bowie State (click here).
- Governor O'Malley addressed his first commencement speech as Governor of Maryland at Bowie State in December 2007 (click here).
- In 2008 U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton held a town hall meeting at BSU when running as a presidential candidate.
- In March 2009 Bowie State students discussed higher education issues with U.S. Senators Barbara Mikulski and Benjamin Cardin and Governor O'Malley (click here).
- U.S. Congressman Elijah E. Cummings and Executive Director of the White House Initiative on HBCUs Dr. John Silvanus Wilson, Jr. both were keynote speakers at Bowie State's Founders' Day events in 2009 and 2010 respectively.
- U. S. Congressman and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer met with BSU students in March 2010 to discuss the newly-enacted health insurance and the benefits in the bill (click here).
Once again, Bowie State will be the site of an event for national leaders by providing a neutral public venue for the discussion of political issues. The University does not support or oppose any candidate for public office.
Members of the general public can sign up to attend the October 7 event at the following link: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=zqmpzcdab%26et=1103736667055%26s=12095%26e=001rzICHXrjzXfzrS3q09umU0cEjEXU-g_elzoSpYpVgkr39sfFON-VstoPZ8pHU7CmSHfeZvrlqMbH4Xb84SfgccQXMIDGf2XclUFeZySooQkd9BU7HsQ5iys7c5W1WfO51xfJDoXDdiE=