III - 6.00 - Policy on Academic Transcript and Financial Aid Records
To provide clarification of the policy on resident credit, calculation of grade point average and holding of academic and/or financial aid transcripts for a federal direct loan defaulters.
1. This section of the policy that refers to resident credit and calculation of grade point average is applicable to all students enrolled at Bowie State University.
2. The section of the policy that refers to the holding of academic and/or financial aid transcripts is applicable to students who were enrolled at Bowie State University and who have since gone into default on Federal Perkins Loans and/or Federal Stafford Loans.
III. Guidelines and Standards
Financial Aid transcripts will not be withheld for Federal Stafford and Perkins Loan defaulters. However, the default will be recorded on the transcripts by the financial aid office, thereby preventing the student from receiving federal aid at another institution. Default information will be obtained from the default roster provided by:
- the institution's billing agent, for Federal Perkins Loan; and
- the Department of Education for Federal Stafford Loans.
Also, default information will be provided to the National Student Loan Default System for output on the Student Aid Report.
Academic transcripts will not be withheld for Federal Perkins and Stafford Loan borrowers. However, students who are delinquent on institutional charges will have their academic transcripts withheld. They will also be flagged in the Student Information System, to prevent them from incurring additional charges through the registration process until their outstanding debt is discharged. The Office of Student Accounts will provide information on delinquent accounts immediately to all students requesting transcripts. Walk-in transcript requests made by way of the Transcript Request Form will require clearance before being processed by the Office of Enrollment, Recruitment and Registration. Mail-in transcript requests will be submitted on a transmittal form to the Office of Student Accounts for approval before release of academic transcripts by mail or pick up. If it is determined that funds are owed to the University, a letter will be sent to the delinquent student.
Students matriculating at Bowie State University must complete the final 30 semester hours in residence (class room setting and instruction at Bowie or, with approval, at other USM schools) in partial fulfillment of graduation requirements. Credits received for CLEP, Portfolio, military, or transfer are not used in fulfilling the residence requirement.
The policy for grade point calculation is as follows:
1. Requirements for satisfactory academic progress are based solely upon grade point average. This is computed by dividing the total number of quality points accumulated in courses for which a grade of A, B, C, D or F has been assigned by the total number of credits attempted in those courses. Courses for which a grade of P, S, U, W, I. AU, AW, CR, NC, or NG has been assigned are not included in computing the G.P.A.
2. Each letter grade has a numerical value; A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0. Multiplying this value by the number of credits for a particular course gives the number of quality points earned for that course: