VI - 1.02 - Policy on Implementation of Policies and Procedures
A. To establish a formal system for discussion, review and approval for University policies and procedures.
A. Policies are general management statements that provide direction for achieving the mission of the University and serve as guides to actions or decisions.
B. Procedures are the prescribed method by which a series of related activities are performed; the detailed process necessary to accomplish tasks, achieve objectives or implement policy. Procedures can be internal to the operational unit or can affect two or more units of the campus.
1. Internal procedures are the processes followed by unit employees to accomplish the unit's tasks.
2. Institutional procedures are those procedures that must be followed by other units interacting with the issuing unit, by students of the University, or by University employees.
A. Policies and procedures represent the operational knowledge of the University and are an asset of the University. Procedures are not the property of the individual performing the task; therefore, all procedures must be maintained in writing to ensure continuity of operations. It is the responsibility of the management of each administrative and academic unit to ensure that all policies and procedures are maintained in writing.
IV. Guidelines and Standards
A. Review and Approval of Policies
1. Institutional policies may be recommended to the appropriate Vice President by any unit or committee, and must be consistent with the mission of the University.
2. Institutional policies recommended by the Vice President must be submitted for review by the Internal Audit Office, the University's Assistant Attorney General and the President's Executive Council prior to submission to the President.
3. Authority for final approval of policy rests with the President of the University.
4. The approval process must be documented by a Policy/Procedure Review and Approval Schedule (Attachment A.)
5. Copies of approved policies will be issued to all operational units of the University for inclusion in Bowie State University Policy and Procedures Manual. A copy of this manual will be maintained by the units and will be available to all employees for reference.
B. Review and Approval of Procedures
1. Internal Operating Procedures
2. Internal operating procedures must be reviewed prior to implementation to ensure that the procedures, as presented, provide adequate internal controls over the process. This review may be done by the unit director and, on request, by the Internal Audit Office.
a) Internal procedures must be approved by the appropriate Vice President.
b) Internal procedures will be distributed to every employee within the unit and maintained in a procedures manual for reference. Copies of the procedures will also be forwarded to the President's Office, the Internal Audit Office and the office of the appropriate Vice President.
3. Institutional Procedures
a) Institutional procedures may be recommended to the appropriate Vice President by any unit or committee, and must be consistent with the mission of the University.
b) Institutional procedures recommended by the Vice President must be submitted for review by the Internal Audit Office, the University's Assistant Attorney General and the President's Executive Council prior to submission to the President.
c) Authority for final approval of policy rests with the President of the University.
d) The approval process must be documented by a Policy/Procedure Review and Approval Schedule (Attachment A.)
e) Copies of approved institutional procedures will be issued to all operational units of the University for inclusion in Bowie State University Policy and Procedures Manual. A copy of this manual will be maintained by the units and will be available to all employees for reference.
V. Review and Revision of Policies and Procedures
A. Appropriate management will review all policies and procedures at least every two years to ensure that the policies are consistent with the University Mission and that the procedures, as written, reflect current operations. Managers will recommend revisions to policies and procedures, as necessary.
B. Recommended changes to policies and institutional procedures must be submitted for review by the appropriate Vice President.
1. Editorial changes, such as changes in position title, department name, or similar corrections may be approved by the Vice President and submitted to the Internal Audit Office to update the Bowie State University Policy Manual.
2. Substantive changes, such as changes in required approvals or responsibilities, must be submitted through the procedures approval process described in IV.A and IV.B.2, above and documented by a Policy/Procedure Review and Approval Schedule.
C. Each office is responsible for updating its internal policies. Monitoring of updates will be done periodically by both the Internal Auditor and the Office of EEO Programs/Legal Counsel.
Bowie State University
Policy/Procedure Review and Approval Schedule
Submitted by:__________________________________________ Date:___________
|Reviewed by: || Date:||Signature: |
|Supervisory Personnel ||_______||_________________|
|Vice President* ||_______ ||_________________|
|Internal Auditor + ||_______ ||_________________|
+ Optional for internal operating procedures.
* Process complete for internal operating procedures of unit
Submitted to the
President's Executive Council: Date:__________
President's Executive Council: Date:__________
Approved by President: Date:__________
Effective Date: 08/30/1993
Revised Date: 01/23/1998