Lecture Series Hosted by National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame
Prominent leaders in the entertainment and business worlds will discuss issues relevant to students in the 21st century at the 2013-14 Legacy Lecture Series, sponsored by the National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame.
Focusing on the theme, “Building Dreams Through Visions of Leadership,” the panelists and moderator will seek to equip and empower students to overcome the economic, social cultural and political challenges of today, and to reshape the fabric of America as they step into tomorrow.
The moderator and panelists are:
• Jeff Johnson is an award-winning journalist, social activist, political commentator and author. From his celebrated conversations with marquee world figures in the political, business and entertainment arenas to his grassroots trench work to inspire the next generation of leaders, Johnson continues to be a trailblazing social entrepreneur and authentic voice for change.
• Thomas W. Dortch, Jr. is the founder of the National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame Foundation, Inc. and chairman and chief executive officer of TWD, Inc., a full service business development firm. In 1990, he became the state director and served as chief administrator for United States Senator Sam Nunn, as the first African-American to serve in this capacity.
• Rev. Omarosa Manigault is considered a subject matter expert in the area of communication, branding and marketing. She currently teaches “Global, Corporate, and Personal Brand Management” in the Master of Business Administration program at Howard University School of Business. Manigault previously worked in the White House under the Clinton administration as deputy associate director of presidential personnel.
• Frank Ski is the former host of a top-rated morning show at Atlanta-based radio station V-103 (CBS affiliate), a position held for 14 years. Ski is a well-known journalist, producer, DJ, actor, motivational speaker, and tireless philanthropist.
• Demetria McKinney is an actress and singer who resides in Atlanta, Ga. She is best known for her role as Janine on the hit sitcom, “Tyler Perry’s House of Payne” and more recently as Rickey Smiley’s ex-wife Monica on TV One’s “The Rickey Smiley Show.” McKinney is also an accomplished vocalist and has recorded singles with notable R&B artists, such as Musiq Soulchild and Anthony David. Her new single, “Work With Me,” is currently available on iTunes.
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Student Center, Theatre
ABOUT BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
Bowie State University (BSU) is an important higher education access portal for qualified persons from diverse academic and socioeconomic backgrounds, seeking a high-quality and affordable public comprehensive university. The University places special emphasis on the science, technology, teacher education, business, and nursing disciplines within the context of a liberal arts education. For more information about BSU, visit the website at www.bowiestate.edu.