A CUSS (Council of University System Staff) initiative, the Board of Regents' University System of Maryland Staff Awards represents the highest honor bestowed by the Board of Regents for achievements of Exempt and Nonexempt Staff employees from institutions within the University System of Maryland. The awards are presented to Staff employees who have demonstrated excellence in one of the following categories.
1. Exceptional Contribution to the Institution and/or Unit to Which the Person Belongs
2. Outstanding Service to Students in an Academic or Residential Environment
3. Extraordinary Public Service to the University or Greater Community
4. Effectiveness and Efficiency
There are two awards given in each category - one Exempt Staff employee and one Nonexempt Staff employee - for a total of ten awards. The awardee will receive a $1,000.00 stipend. In addition, a plaque shall be awarded in recognition of the event and appropriate notices should be placed to publicize the accomplishments of those outstanding individuals granted this honor.
Each institution may nominate one Exempt and one Nonexempt Staff employee for each of the four award categories. If multiple nominations are received for any of the categories or if documentation is missing from the nomination packages, they will be returned to the institution for further review and re-submission (time permitting).
In addition to the existing application procedures, the nominees packets needs to include:
Award recipients may be invited to address the Board.
For further detail on current initiatives, applicants will be advised to review the E & E reports available at:
Note: Although commendable, length of service and performance of normal duties do not weigh heavily in deliberations.
A nomination package should be generated for each individual that includes the following documents, organized in the order listed:
- Nomination Cover Sheet - a cover sheet must be completed and signed. A blank cover sheet is attached and may be copied for each nominee. Do not change the format of the cover sheet.
- Nomination Letter - the letter shall state the category for which the staff employee is being nominated and give testimony of exemplary performance in that category. Please limit to two pages.
- Position Description or position description from supervisor. Position descriptions should include the purpose of the position and associated duties.
- Letters of Recommendation - include (3) one page letters of recommendation that discuss what makes this individual exceptional. Recommendations are welcomed from persons external, as well as internal, to the institution and should include information on how to contact the author. Letters must be in support of the candidate's activities as they relate to the category for which he/she is being nominated. Printed emailed letters are acceptable.
- Optional Supporting Materials - any additional materials (e.g., articles, awards, recognitions) that the nominee may feel reflects accomplishments that are relevant to the award category. Material should be limited to 3-5 pages in length.
Please limit the nomination packages to the requested relevant materials. More is not necessarily better.
Download a Powerpoint on details of the Board of Regents Staff Awards.
Please note that no packets will be accepted after the deadline. Thank you.
Plackets are to be submitted to:
Office of Continuing Education and External Programs
1128 Thurgood Marshall Library
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, Maryland 20715
It is not the intention of the Board of Regents University System of Maryland Staff Awards Review Committee to require excessive documentation. However, nominations must contain sufficient material to acquaint the Awards Review Committee with the nature and quality of the individual's achievements.
The CUSS BOR Staff Awards Review Committee will review nomination packages and submit recommendations for awards to the Board of Regents i. Winners will be announced in early summer with a formal presentation of the award recipients by the Board of Regents in early Fall 2013.