It's 12am the night before your mid-term and you're stuck on a problem. You decide it's too late to email your professor or call classmates. As you slip deeper into panic mode, you gulp your caffeinated drink and mumble under your breath, "Where is help when I need it?"
Tired of situations like this one? We've got the answer to your studying needs with SMARTHINKING, the FREE Online Virtual Tutoring Center!
With SMARTHINKING Online Tutoring, you can
SMARTHINKING currently provides online support in a variety of Math, Writing, Science and Business subjects up to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week:
For a full list of available subjects and schedules, please visit:
SMARTHINKING is not a homework answering or editing service. Instead, SMARTHINKING tutors strive to assist you in developing successful learning and problem-solving strategies that will help you succeed in the classroom.
Check the SMARTHINKING Frequently Asked Questions list for more technical information.
- Windows PC users need:
- Firefox 1.0.4 or higher
- Internet Explorer 5.1 or higher
- Netscape 6 or higher
- Flash Player 8 of higher
- Apple Mac OS users need:
- Firefox 1.0.4 or higher
- Safari 1.3 or higher
- FlashPlayer 8 or higher
- NOTE: Mac OS 9 is not supported.
- Set up your browser to allow cookies and pop-up windows for *.smarthinking.com and *.bowiestate.edu
- Windows users will also need to allow ActiveX
- Make sure that you have Java installed.
1. DEFINITION: SMARTHINKING is a virtual tutoring service coordinated by the Academic Support Unit in Academic Computing; it is not a substitute for campus tutoring centers and it is not a homework and editing service.
2. PURPOSE: SMARTHINKING is primarily intended for undergraduate course support up to courses at the 500-level for specific subjects.
3. STUDENT PREPARATION: To optimize the use of service time and emphasize content focus, students must be prepared for their sessions with specific topics and/or questions.
4. CONTENT & PRIORITY ACCESS: Priority access is given to those students enrolled in courses for these topics:
- MATH: Basic Math Skills, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus, Calculus II
- ENGLISH: Freshman Writing
- SELECTED STEM SUBJECTS: Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Physics
- HEALTH SCIENCES: Introduction to Human Anatomy & Physiology
- BUSINESS & ECONOMICS: Accounting, Economics, Introductory Finance
- STATISTICS: Statistics, Advanced StatisticsNOTE: Instructors are strongly encouraged to notify students of SMARTHINKING availability in courses supported by the tutoring services.
3. ONLINE WRITING LAB SUPPORT: Submissions to the Online Writing Lab is equivalent to one 30-minute tutoring session (under 5 pages) or two 30-minute tutoring sessions (up to 10 pages). This service is intended for undergraduate students. Graduate students who require writing support should seek assistance through department-specific resources.
4. TERM UTILIZATION LIMITS: Students may use SMARTHINKING on an average of one session per week during the semester for up to 8 tutoring hours (approximately 16 tutoring sessions).
5. STUDENT ACCOUNT AUTHENTICATION: Students who use SMARTHINKING must authenticate their Bulldog accounts through the learning management system at BSU Online. Account usage is monitored monthly.
6. MISUSE PENALTY: Students who misuse or abuse SMARTHINKING services, including allowing non-BSU students to use the service or repeatedly failing to cancel scheduled appointments, will lose access for the remainder of the semester.
- Go to BSU Online and log in with your Bulldog ID.
- Select the course where you need help.
- Click on the RESOURCES tab.
- Click on the button for SMARTHINKING.
- Wait for SMARTHINKING to log in. The service will open in a separate window. Once you have logged on, you will be taken directly to your SMARTHINKING Home Page.
An Overview of How to Use SMARTHINKING
Once you are logged in, you will find various tabs on the left-hand side of the page or along the top:
- my home page brings you back to your SMARTHINKING home page.
- about me opens the form completed at registration and allows you to change your personal information and time zone
- my account provides access to information about your use of SMARTHINKING
- cust. support & FAQ provides access to information that will help you solve any problems that arise when you are using SMARTHINKING
- academic resources provides access to the SMARTHINKING Writer's and ESL Writer's Handbooks, an Accounting Glossary, a Study Guide Handbook, and links to other sites that provide support for students studying mathematics.
- Log out allows you to log out of your account when you are finished using SMARTHINKING.
In the center of the screen, your options for tutoring are displayed:
- connect with an e-structor now! Is used when you want live tutoring right away.
- submit your writing is used to send an essay or paper draft to an e-structor for review.
- schedule a personal session is used when you want to make an appointment for future tutoring.
If you know that you cannot make a scheduled session, you MUST CANCEL IT WITHIN 48 HOURS of the appointment time in order for your login account to not be charged for it.
- submit a question is used when you would rather wait for a response to your question then take the time for a live session.
Near the bottom of the screen, you will find my file cabinet. Your SMARTHINKING file cabinet contains transcripts of your online sessions, copies of responses to questions you have submitted, and reviews/critiques of papers and essays submitted to the Essay Center.
REMEMBER: Each student using SMARTHINKING should be prepared and ask specific questions to the "E-Instructors" to use their time efficiently during the SMARTHINKING sessions.
Still Need Help?