General Steps to Follow
- File an application for admission to the Graduate School.
- Have college and/or university you previously attended submit official transcripts directly to the Graduate School.
- Attend New Candidate (Student) Orientation to establish an approved Program of Study.
- Attend New Student Orientation and meet with an advisor to discuss your academic plan and complete a program of study.
- Review the graduate catalog for information about the Student Code of Conduct and policies and procedures governing the University.
- After the completion of the first 12-15 credit hours in your approved program with a GPA of 3.25 or better, apply for Advancement to Candidacy by completing an “Advancement To Candidacy" Form.
- Register for Graduate Comprehensive Examination. See program for specifications.
- Attend an Orientation to Comprehensive Exam in preparation for the exam (date announced each semester by the department, usually in February and September). Comprehensive exams are only offered during spring and fall semesters, usually the first and second Saturdays in March and October.
- Candidate must successfully pass the comprehensive examination prior to enrollment in the practicum in School Counseling and Counseling Psychology internship, and seminar courses.
- Attend an Orientation to Practicum one semester prior to enrolling in the Practicum class. Candidate must attend this orientation in order to be eligible for the practicum class (date announced each semester by the department; it is usually scheduled in October and April).
- Complete an on-site practicum placement in the schools (School Counseling and School Psychology Candidates) or community (Counseling Psychology and Mental Health candidates).
- Candidate must have completed Practicum in order to be eligible for the internship class
- Complete an on-site internship in the schools, School Counseling and School Psychology Candidates, or Community Counseling Psychology and Mental Health candidates).
- Prepare a research/ thesis according to specification Graduate School
- File Application for Graduation (see Appendix).
- Submit all PDAs to your program advisor for verification that you have completed the required number of hours. All PDAs must be completed before making application for graduation.