BSU Dedicates Alumni House
By Bekah Oester
Behind the MARC station, just past the Bowie State University entrance on Route 197 is a part of campus that not many students are aware of: the Goodloe Alumni House. On May 7, BSU held an open house and portrait dedication at the house.
Andrew Best Entertainment provided live music before and after the program, which was presided over by Darren M. Swain, assistant vice president for alumni relations. Swain introduced BSU President Mickey L. Burnim, whom he described as rivaling "the passion, the leadership, and this notion of change." Burnim spoke briefly about the importance of the day and of celebrating "part of the tradition that is Bowie State University."
Swain commented that the "Goodloe family and house has a rich history here," before giving the floor to Betty Turner, who gave a brief history of the process of BSU acquiring the house starting in June 1997. BSU acquired the house in summer of 1999, and officially named the five-bedroom house Goodloe Alumni House last year.
Other guests made brief remarks, and the Rev. Cynthia Snavely of the Goodloe Memorial Unitarian Universalist Congregation made a special presentation to the house and alumni association: a framed portrait of Goodloe, and a framed historical plaque with information about Goodloe. Alumni association President Addie Martin thanked the church for their contribution, saying, "We are just so humbled and appreciative."
Other special guests at the event included the BSU cheerleaders and Bulldog, who performed at the event, and BSU's Symphony of Soul Marching band that performed after the portrait dedication.
After the dedication, guests were offered lunch and cake and given the opportunity to tour the historic home.
The house was named for BSU's first principal, Donald Speed Smith Goodloe, who built the house for his family in 1915. Goodloe was also the first African-American graduate of Meadville Theological School in Chicago. Goodloe served at BSU from 1911 to 1921, and made many pleas to the state legislature to offer the school additional funding. During his tenure at BSU, Goodloe established the first summer session, increased student enrollment and faculty, established renovations for the men's living quarters and a new women's dormitory, and created a model elementary school for student teachers.