Stressing Over Final Exams
By Armand Hodge
Many students enjoy the feeling and freedom of being in college. They enjoy meeting new people, making new friends, experiencing campus life, and for some the freedom of being away from home. But as the end of the semester draws closer, there's one thing that makes life stressful not just for college students around the country but Bowie State students as well. That's the annoyance and stress of final exams. Final exams is the most stressful time of the semester for college students. For Bowie State students and other students across the country, final exams is the time when students will push their bodies and minds to unhealthy limits. Lack of sleep, constant headaches, and hostility are sings of unhealthy limits. When cramming for final exams, many students stay up for long periods of the night. Some even stay up all night depending on the exam. Some students have even looked to taking prescription drugs to help them stay up for long periods of time and cope with the stress of exams. But this can be very dangerous to your body. Lack of sleep can cause you to do very poor on your exams. Many students also become sick around final exams. Some of the reasons that cause this is being constantly worried if you're going to pass or not, and not even eating. Studies have shown that many students lack eating around finals.
There are many ways to help cope with stress around finals. Some of these ways are:
- Time management: Make sure you schedule your finals accordingly
- Free your schedule: If you have a job, work less hours, eliminate any social events or any other social activities until finals are over.
- Form study groups: Studying alone can sometimes be stressful. Studying with peers can reduce stress and also help you fully understand what's going to be on the exam.
- Take frequent study breaks: Studying non-stop can make you feel drained. Taking short breaks can help you re-energize and help you focus more.
- Exercise is also good: Take a nice walk or a short little jog. Even play some basketball. Exercise is a great stress reliever around finals.
- Plenty of sleep: If there was ever a time that you needed plenty of sleep, this would be it. Studying a lot is not a problem, but getting very few sleep is. Getting plenty hours of sleep can be good for your body and mind.
Following some of these ways and finding a stress reliever can help you do just fine on your exams. Just make sure your stress reliever isn't a bad one. For example, studies have shown that some students take drugs or consume alcohol to help relieve their stress. Doing this can be dangerous and also show poor results on your exams.
The end of the semester might be a stressful time for some students, but taking right steps can help you do just fine. As Bowie students and many others around the country get ready for final exams, students will be studying long hours to pass their classes. Hopefully they will take the necessary steps to stay energized and to stay focused.