Dr. Frank Norton, Ph.D.
|Ph.D., University of Denver|
M.A., University of Denver
B.A., University of Massachusetts
Dr. Frank Norton is a licensed psychologist in the State of Maryland for over 30 years now. He is past chair of two departments of psychology and former Director of an American Psychological Association accredited doctoral internship in Clinical Psychology.
Dr. Norton started teaching for Bowie State University in 1978 and has been full time with BSU for 15 years. He also worked full time as a clinical psychologist in various hospitals for 20 years and was also Director of an inpatient substance abuse program.
Dr. Norton is active in the community as a senior board examiner for psychologists for the American Board of Professional Psychology.
- Substance Abuse disorders
- Learning Disabilities
- Group Therapy
- Counselor/Educators Effectiveness
- Norton, F., & Haley, L. (2011). "Maryland drug policy laws and programs" Encyclopedia of Drug Policy, Sage Publications.
- Norton, F.(2010). "Drug and alcohol counseling as a career option" Book chapter in Careers in Counseling and Psychology for Masters Level Graduates, University Readers, pgs. 65 - 86.
- Norton, F. & Jeter, R. (2008). “Certification & Licensure Requirements for Substance Abuse Counselors. Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse, Prevention, Treament, and Recovery, Sage Publications,pgs. 169-172.
- Jeter, R., Legum, H. & Norton, F. (2007). “Parental and Community Involvement in Schools, Does Socio-economic Status Matter?” ERIC. May.
- Norton, F.E. (1997). Adolescent substance abuse and brain damage. The Medical News (Southern Maryland), Vol.II, Issue 74, pgs.1 & 8.
- Rath, F. & Norton, F.E., (1991). Clinical and Organizational Psychology, Ch. 20, Education and training of clinical psychologists and assistants. In R.Gal & Mangeldorf (Eds), John Wiley & Sons Limited, Handbook of Military Psychology, Chichester, West Sussex, England, pgs 593 - 606.
- Norton, F.E., (1984). United States Air Force, Opportunities and choices in Clinical Psychology, The Clinical Psychologist, Vol 2, No. 3, APA Div. 12, pgs 84 - 85.
- Duane, W.J., Norton, F.E., (1978). Description and evaluation of a USAF Alcohol Rehabilitation Center, British J. on Alcohol and Alcoholism 13, No. 3, pages 27-35.
- Norton, F.E., (1978). At the Alcohol Center Wiesbaden, Medical Service Digest, United States Air Force, V. 23, No. 3, pgs 9-12.
- Norton, F.E., (1971). Demographic and personality variables associated with marijuana use, in Proceedings of Psychology in the Air Force, 2nd Annual Symposium, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, CO, pgs 228-234.
- American Psychological Association, Member
Division 12: Clinical Psychology
Division 19: Military Psychology,
Program Committee, 1992-1993, 1993-1994, Chairman 96-97
Education Committee, 1997-1998,
Clinical Practice Committee 2000-2001, 2001-2002
Nominated for President for 1998-1999, 1999-2000 & 2000-2001
Division 42: Psychologists in Independent Practice
Division 49: Group Psychotherapy, Charter Member
Division 50: Addictions
- Maryland State Psychological Association
- Member, American Board of Professional Psychology
- Fellow, American Academy of Clinical Psychology
- Member, American Counseling Association
- Member, International Association of Addictions and Offender Counselors