Dr. Audrey Lucas, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Howard University
M.A., Bowie State University
B.S., The University of the District of Columbia
Dr Audrey Lucas Brown has over 16 years of higher education experience and 8 years of experience working in the public school setting as a school psychologist and school counselor. She began her career as an Academic Advisor working with undergraduate students. She went on to become the Coordinator of Orientation and Placement Testing as also served as a Counselor in the University Counseling Center. Dr. Lucas Brown has worked the majority of her career with at risk populations. Finally, as an administrator, Dr. Lucas Brown served as the Assistant Dean for Special Student Services at Howard University.
Dr. Lucas Brown also practices in the community as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor working with adolescents, couples and families. She considers herself to be a cognitive behaviorist and her research interest include social emotional and cognitive functioning. Currently, Dr. Lucas Brown is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Counseling and serves as the Coordinator of the School Counseling Program. She is a Bowie State alum and believes that it is a privilige to be able to serve the institution which prepared her to become a competent professional in her field.
- Social Emotional Learning
- Cognitive Development
- Student Engagement and Academic Achievement of Urban School Children
- Lucas, A. (2009). Careers in Counseling and Psychology for Master Level Graduates. San Diego: University Readers.
- Goldman, A., Jeter, R. & Lucas, A. (2007). Self-esteem and eating attitudes of female high school students. American Association of Behavioral and Social Sciences Journal.
- Working with Urban Families. First Annual Urban School Counseling Conference, University of Maryland, College Park, 2006.
- Holcomb-McCoy, C. & Lucas, A. (2005). The underachievement of African American students: Why can't we close the gap? The Counseling Interviewer, 28(1).
- Lucas, A. (2003). Psychologist and authors parent's guide. In Jefferson, A. & Bedell. Imani's Heart: The Dancing Angel. The Imani Foundation.
- The Importance of Family Related Factors and Dropout Prevention Programs. Student Adlerian Association Spring Conference, Bowie State University. 2006.
- Doctoral Dissertation: "The Relationship Between Family Conflict, Decision Making and the African American's Adolescent's Decision to Drop out of Graduate High School."
- Master's Thesis: "Discipline: A Conflict of Interest for Guidance Counselors."
- American Counseling Association
- American Psychological Association
- National Association of School Psychologists