Dr. Ann Toler Hilliard, Ph.D.
Ed.D., George Washington University
Consulting Certificate, Harvard University
Advanced Professional Certificate, Maryland State Department of Education
M.S., Johns Hopkins University
M.A.T., Trinity University
B.S., Elizabeth City State University
Dr. Ann Toler Hilliard teaches in the Department of Educational Studies and Leadership and coordinates activities that provide professional experiences for those individuals who are seeking the opportunity to serve as a school administrator. Dr. Hilliard has held leadership positions as a principal, college program director, academic achievement specialist in Maryland and in the District of Columbia. Her experiences as a leader in the area of administration extend from elementary school through graduate school.
Dr. Hilliard served as director and principal investigator for Bowie's Scholars program in the University College of Excellence. Other positions held included being the assistant to the vice-president for academic affairs and deputy director for the SEM program for a Model Institution of Excellence. Her professional experiences extend to the U.S. Bureau of the Census by analyzing national population and economic status data and served as a consultant for Maryland, U.S. Virgin Islands and Seoul, Korea schools, and post-doctorate program at Harvard University.
In the area of graduate studies, Dr. Hilliard served as graduate school director and special assistant to the president for special projects at Sojourner-Douglass College. While serving as graduate school director, she managed graduate programs in Salisbury, Annapolis, Baltimore and Nassau, Bahamas. She further served on teacher professional development, graduate oversight, academic council, graduate research panel review committees and the president's cabinet. While being at a private college, she was the key individual to write a successful proposal which established the first charter school on a college campus in Baltimore.
Dr. Hilliard has presented at local, national and international conferences on topics related to leadership, instruction, curriculum development, formative assessment and best practices for recruitment and sustaining staff.
- Leadership Trends, Issues and Data Use
- Relationship Building and Teaching
- Assessment Standards for University Improvement
- Best Practices for Educational Research and Publication
- Experienced Human Capital: The Older Worker
- Hilliard, Ann (2012). Using Technology Media Can Increase Student Retention at the University. ISBN: 978-84-615-5563-5, International Association of Teaching, Education and Development. Valencia, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann (2012). University Leadership Support is Needed for Blended Learning Programs. ISBN: 978-84-615-5563-5, International Association of Teaching, Education and Development Valencia, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann (2012). Twelve Best Practices for Online Teaching and Learning. ISBN: 978-84-615-5563-5, International Association of Teaching, Education and Development. Valencia, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann (2012). Educational Leaders Support School Solar Energy Curriculum in Schools and Colleges, ISBN: 978-84-615-5563-5, Valencia, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann (2012). Sharing Resources: Benefits of University Partnerships to Improve Teaching, Learning and Research, Journal of International Education Research, ISSN: 2158-0979 Print or 2158-0987 Online, Volume 8, No. 1, CIAR, Barcelona, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann; Jackson, Barbara; White, Eleanor (2011). Intentions and Feedback from Participants in a Leadership Training Program, Volume 8, No. 11 CIAR. Las Vegas, NV.
- Hilliard, Ann (2011). Technology Supports Professional Development Activities for School Leaders and Faculty Members, ISBN 978-84-615-3324-4, Madrid, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann; Jackson, Barbara (2011). Current Trends in Educational Leadership for Student Success Plus Facilities Planning and Designing. Contemporary Issues in Education Research. ISSN: 1940-5847 Print or 1941-756X Online, Vol. 4, No. 1. CIAR. Las Vegas, NV.
- Hilliard, Ann; Taylor, Winona (2010). Collaborative Approach: The Self-Study Process and Writing the Report, Volume 3, No. 12, ISSN: 190-5847, CIAR, Las Vegas, NV.
- Hilliard, Ann (2010). Student Leadership at the University, Journal of College Teaching, Volume 7, Number 2, ISSN: 1544-0389, Clute Institute for Academic Research, Las Vegas, NV.
- Hilliard, Ann (2010). Value Added: Professional Development for School Leadership using Technology as a Support Tool, ISBN: 978-84-613-5538-9, International Association for Technology and Education, Valencia, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann (2010). Valuing Experienced Human Capital: The Older Worker A Winner for the Economy, ISBN:9788461393862 International Association for Technology and Education; Barcelona, Spain.
- Hilliard, Ann (2010). Best Practices for Job Changers 55 Years of Age and Older, Journal of Business and Economics Research, ISSN: 1542-4448, Clute Institute for Academic Research, Dublin, Ireland.
- Hilliard, Ann (2009). Faculty-Study Groups Support School Improvement Efforts, Journal of College Teaching and Learning, Volume 6, Number 7, ISSN: 1544-0389, Clute Institute for Academic Research, Las Vegas, NV.
- Hilliard, Ann (2012). Contributed to book titled: I Can Do Anything, Too: A Latino Student’s Guide to Choosing a Career by Author, Carolyn Mattocks. Hilliard contributed information related to the Contributions Made by Latinos to American
- Student Leadership at the University and Teambuilding Diversity Seminar, Michigan State University, College of Agricultural Resources, 2009.
- Peer Review Training, Montgomery County Public Schools, Office of School Performance, 2007.
- One Teacher and One Computer Classroom, Montgomery County Public Schools, Office of School Performance, 2007.
- Technology Advantage, Prince George's County Public School System, 2004.
- Cultivating Inclusion Cultures, Middle School Conference, Baltimore City Public School System, 2004.
- Network Marketing, University of Maryland, College Park, 2002.
- Be A Risk Taker: Step Forward and Lead, University of Maryland System Women's Forum, 2002.
- GRE Preparation Grant, Cambridge Press, 2001.
- Leadership and Management, U.S. Virgin Islands, 2001.
- Best Practices for Improving Test Scores, Bowie State University, 2000.
- Team Building and Organizational Behavior, U.S. Virgin Islands, 2000.
- Educational Consultants Institute
- American Association of University Women
- Clute Institute for Academic Research
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- Institute for Academic and Social Development Board
- National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Phi Delta Kappa
- National Staff Development Council