This Nursing Program is an upper division "on-line" curriculum designed for registered nurses in the state of Maryland who are graduates of associate degree or diploma programs. New graduates are considered for admission pending success on the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN).
Click here to view the RN to BS completion brochure (pdf).
The Department of Nursing goals are consistent with the mission of the University and reflect the philosophy of the nursing faculty. The Department of Nursing goals are:
- To provide quality programs supportive of the learning needs of diverse learners so that they may accomplish their educational goals.
- To provide an environment supportive of quality instruction, the use of technology, scholarly endeavors, and critical thinking.
- To maintain faculty support systems and staff development programs that foster creativity and facilitate the faculty's contributions to higher education and the nursing profession.
- To maximize opportunities for students and faculty to participate in the internal operations of the University so as to foster optimal communications and ensure maximum involvement in the development and maintenance of programs and services.
- To engage in cooperative and collaborative relationships with regional communities that will promote health and nursing.
Eligible candidates are admitted to this nursing program track for each fall and spring semester. Candidates are required to follow the RN-BS curriculum progression plan and complete all prerequisite courses to become eligible for transition into the RN-BS core nursing courses. All prerequisite courses must be successfully completed with a grade of "C" or higher. Upon completion of all prerequisite courses and consultation with a Nursing academic advisor, candidates will then be required to submit an application for admission to the program.
Below is a list of the documentation required with the RN-BS application. This information must be sent with the application as one packet and returned to the BSU Department of Nursing to facilitate your timely admission to the RN to BS Program for the fall or spring semester.
- Candidates must first be granted general admission through the BSU Office of Admissions
- Candidates are required to have no less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Candidates must submit a copy of official academic transcripts from each institution attended. In addition, please note that nursing courses are not transferable.
- Three letters of recommendation (a reference from your immediate supervisor and two from professional colleagues)
- One copy of each of the following:
- Current CPR certification
- Current Maryland RN licensure
- A personal statement of your goals and objectives (400 words, typed and double-spaced)
- A completed physical examination/health history (form provided in application)
- Current professional resume
- Student profile sheet (form provided in application)
Application Submission Date: January 7, 2013
Application Deadline: July 1, 2013
All candidates who are foreign-trained nurses are required to be licensed in the state of Maryland and have their international transcripts be evaluated by the World Evaluation Services (WES) or the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nurse Schools (CGFNS). A copy of this evaluation must be submitted with your application to the program.
All RN-BS students are awarded 30 credits for completion of prior undergraduate nursing coursework and experience based on the guidelines of the Maryland Articulation Model. These credits will be reflected in your BSU academic transcript upon completion of the program.
For questions or concerns, prospective candidates are required to send inquiries via email to our Nursing Academic Advisor: