Professor Eva Garin, Ed.D
Ed.D., University of Maryland
M.Ed., Pennsylvania State University
B.S., University of Maryland
Dr. Eva Garin teaches courses in reading and methods of teaching reading/language arts. She also coordinates the Professional Developmnet Schools (PDS) partnership for the College of Education and works closely with Dr. Linda Boyd, Director of Field Placement.
Dr. Garin meets with mentor teachers and principals of PDS sites in Prince Georges' and Anne Arundel counties. Many of the PDS sites are currently participating in "teacher-as-researcher" opportunities and are encouraged to share their findings at the Bowie State University PDS Showcase held every spring on the BSU campus.
Dr. Garin has been the principal investigator on many grants, the most recent one supporting the PDS partnership with the use of technology and teacher inquiry. Dr. Garin's methods of instruction include the use of handheld technology to conduct reading assessment.
- Action research and other forms of teacher research
- Garin, E. and Somerville, R. (in print) Writing instruction for diverse learners: Who are these students and what do they need? In Janet Richards and Cindy Lasson (Eds.) Collaborative Writing Strategies in the Primary Grades: Scaffolding Students’ Writing with Meaningful Mini Lessons. Jossey-Bass
- Garin, E.; Bell, J.;Cox, A. and Sheffield, L. (2009) From college students to teachers: A view from interns. PDS Partners vol.5 (1).
- Garin, E. and Hammond D. (2009). Transforming a reading assessment class into a PDS reading clinic. In Janet Richards and Cindy Lasson (Eds.) Evidence-Based Exemplary Tutoring Programs that Work and Why. Delaware: International Reading Association.
- Schwartz-Bechet, B.; Garin, E. and Norman, M. (2009) The IHE liaison viewed as an active member of the PDS community - AKA : The doer. PDS Partners.
- Garin, E. (2007) Using inquiry groups to enhance and sustain our PDS partnership. PDS Partners.
- Garin, E., Guerrero, J. & Sabra, G. (2007) Reading, technology, and teacher preparation: Can we do it all? School University Partnerships.
- Garin, E., Corrigan, D. (2011) Action research as a tool for addressing equity and social justice issues in teacher education. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, San Diego.
- Garin, E., Bissett, J. & McBride, S. (2009) Promoting equity and social justice in professional development school partnerships through action research and inquiry groups. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver.
- Garin, E. (2008) Our ride through the magical kingdom of teacher inquiry. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of Professional Development, Orlando.
- Garin, E. (2008) Teacher inquiry in professional development schools: Does it make a difference? Paper presented at the 2008 meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New York.
- Garin, E.; Harper, M.; McFadden, S.; Nowlin, D.; Oosterhous, J. (2008); Using inquiry groups to enhance and sustain PDS partnerships. Paper presented at the 2008 Meeting of the Maryland State Department of Education Professional Development Schools Conference, Baltimore.
- Garin, E. (2007) What every PDS stakeholder should know about action research. Paper presented at the 2007 Professional Development Schools National, Las Vegas
- Garin, E. (2006) Using technology and portfolio development to prepare undergraduate elementary majors to teach reading during their yearlong internship and beyond. Paper presented at the 21st World Congress on Reading, Budapest, Hungary.
- Garin, E. (2006) From Braunschweig to Bethesda: The story of two sisters who survived the holocaust. Poster presented at the 2006 University Systems of Maryland Diversity Conference, College Park, Maryland.
- Garin, E. (2005) Teachers-as-researchers. Change, or status quo? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Montreal.
- Garin, E. (2005) Using action research and inquiry groups to enhance student learning in a professional development school context. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education, Washington, D.C.
- Garin, E. (2005) Using action research to enhance reading/language arts methods courses.Paper presented at the annual meeting of the International Reading Association, San Antonio, Texas.
American Education Research AssociationInternational Reading AssociationState of Maryland Research AssociationASCD