Josephine Wilson is Chair of the Department of Teaching, Learning and Professional Development, Associate Professor of Education and Director of Teacher Education Council in the College of Education at Bowie State University. She chaired doctoral dissertations for ten successful doctoral candidates in Educational Studies and Leadership.
While serving as former Director of Field Experience for four years at Bowie and seven years at Catholic University, she taught Seminar as well as undergraduate students in Early Childhood Education courses She taught graduate and undergraduate courses in the College of Education.
Her research interests include the study of pre-service teacher preparation in urban settings; family literacy involvement; early childhood education and electronic portfolio for professional development. Dr. Wilson has presented at Oxford Round Table, national and state conferences.
- Early Childhood Education
- Pre service Teacher Preparation
- Family/School Involvement
- Professional Development Schools
- Wilson, J. (March 16, 2009). “Developing Early Educators’ Pedagogy: Successful Teaching of Emergent Literacy Learners. Oxford Round Table, Oxford University, Oxford, England.
- Performance Assessments: A Resource for Elementary Education Teacher Educators In Maryland: Maryland State Improvement Grant, October, 2008.
- Wilson, J. & Russell-Henderson, R (April, 2008) “Transporting and Collecting: Using an on-line address to present and demonstrate artifacts, resources, and competencies.” USM System-Wide Symposium on Online Resources and Pedagogy for Teacher Education. Dorsey Station Center of UMUC, Elkridge, MD.
- Wilson, J. & Russell-Henderson, R. (July , 29, 2008)“Developing and evaluating electronic portfolios (DEEP) using Google Apps.” Proceedings of the 2008 Eastern Shore E-Learning Symposium, University of Maryland Eastern Shore, Princess Anne, MD.
- Wilson, J. (April 30, 2008). “Bringing Books-to-Life to promote Emergent Literacy Enjoyment for Reading” BSU, COE PDS Research Showcase.
- Wilson, J. (June, 2007) “Keeping It Real: Bringing Books-to-Life for Emerging Readers. PDS Week at Bowie State University.
- Strain, L., Wilson, J., & Burke, A (2006). Development of Electronic Portfolios by Student Teachers. Presented at the 2006 Hawaii International Educ. Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Wilson, J. & Byrd, T. (Fall, 2006). Graduate Special Education Handbook (On-Line).
- Wilson, J. (2004)”Fostering Academic Resilience Among Urban Teacher Candidates: Sharing Strategies that Work”. Presented at the 2004 Patterson Research Conference, Washington Hilton and Towers, Wash., DC. September 24-27, 2004.
- Strain, L. & Wilson, J. (Aug. 9, 2004). “Strategies for Nurturing Passion for Teaching, Boston, MA.
- Strain, L. & Wilson, J. C. (Feb. 2003). Portfolios: Assessment of Teachers Personal and Professional Development. Presented at the Association of Teacher Educators (ATE) Conference, Jacksonville, Fl.
Phi Delta Kappa InternationalAssociation of Supervision and Curriculum DevelopmentAmerican Educational Research AssociationAssociation of Childhood Education International