People interested in taking non-degree courses at Bowie State University fall into two categories: certification students and continuing education students. Both categories require the same application.
Individuals are allowed to take classes without being accepted into a degree program in order to satisfy requirements established by state, national, or professional agencies to qualify for certification or to maintain certification at the appropriate level. Bowie State offers certification courses in education and counseling, both offered by the University's School of Education.
For individuals who intend to take graduate classes, it is recommended that either the program coordinator or department chair be consulted before more than 12 credits are taken in any one program.
It is recommended that no more than 30 undergraduate credits be taken.
Individuals who are denied admission into either an undergraduate or a graduate program will not be allowed to take courses as a non-degree student.
Continuing education students are non-degree students taking undergraduate or graduate courses at the University for their own enrichment or to gain skills. Students taking certification courses are considered continuing education students.
- How can I find out what courses are offered at Bowie State University? Check the course schedule.
- How do I apply as a continuing education student? To apply as a continuing education (non-degree) student, download an application and return it to the Office of the Registrar.
- What constitutes a complete application? There are no documents other than the application required for a continuing education student. You only need to complete the application and pay the $17 application fee to the Student Accounts Office. Checks should be made payable to Bowie State University.
- What is the deadline to submit a continuing education application? The deadline for submitting the application is until the enrollment period ends (last day of add and drop).
- Can I receive financial aid as a continuing education student? Financial aid is not available for continuing education (non-degree) students. You must be a degree-seeking student to be eligible for financial aid.
- Can I be a continuing education student if I was denied admission to Bowie State University? No, if you were denied admission as a degree-seeking student, you will not be able to apply and attend classes as a continuing education (non-degree) student.
- How do I become a degree-seeking student? You will have to complete and submit the degree-seeking application for admissions as well as all required documents.
- How can I apply for certification courses? You would complete and return the continuing education (non-degree) application to the Office of the Registrar along with the $17 application fee.