Bowie State University is an excellent choice for students who have a two-year associate's degree and are looking to take their education to the next level, and for those seeking to transfer from their current four-year institution to a school with both broad academic opportunities and a nurturing environment. Also, Bowie State University offers seamless transfer equivalencies for students coming from other University of Maryland colleges.
Who Can Apply as a Transfer Student?
Citizens of the United States as well as international students who have attended or who are currently attending another college or university prior to seeking admission or re-admission to Bowie State University are eligible.
What Is the Application Process?
Students should apply online. A nonrefundable application fee of $40 is required with the online application.
Prospective transfer students should also request all official transcripts from all colleges and universities they have attended or are currently attending to be forwarded to the Office of Admissions.
What Are the Admission Requirements for Transfers?
Transfer students who present a minimum of 24 transferable credits at the time of application and a grade point average of at least 2.0 (a C average) may be considered for admission. Students' overall grade point average and the trend of the most recent grades will be taken into account.
Students can transfer a maximum of 65 credits from a two-year college or up to 90 credits from a four-year college but only a total of 90 credit hours.
Applicants who have earned fewer than 24 transferable credits at the time of their application for admission must also meet requirements for freshman admission . Such transfer students must also have their high school transcript and SAT or ACT scores sent for review.
What Are the Application Deadlines?
Students planning to enter in the fall semester should submit their application materials by April 1. International students should submit their materials by Jan. 5.
Students planning to enter in the spring semester should submit their application materials by Nov. 1. For international students, that deadline is Sept. 1.
HOW CAN I INQUIRE ABOUT MY TRANSFER CREDIT EVALUATION?
Evaluation of Transfer Credits
- An official transcript is required for formal credit evaluation. At the discretion of University personnel, unofficial transcripts may be used for advising or counseling.
- We make every effort to match your transferable courses to our General Education and academic discipline coursework.
- In most cases, coursework from regionally accredited institutions for which you've earned at least a "C" or better is transferable, if comparable coursework is offered at Bowie State.
- The University reserves the right to deny transfer credit for coursework completed at institutions prior to enrollment at Bowie State, but not listed on the application for admission.
- Review transfer evaluations carefully. Questions and/or concerns regarding evaluation of transfer credit should be resolved within 21 days of completed initial evaluation.
- The University reserves the right to revoke offers of admission for transfer applicants who do not maintain the minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA through the most recent semester of attendance at last school attended.
If you have any questions about your Transfer Credit Evaluation, please click here and complete the Form.
Office of Admissions
Henry Administration Building
Bowie State University
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie MD 20715-9465
301-860-3415 (1-877-77BOWIE toll-free)
If you would like to use USM's online application, you can do so by clicking here