Maryland Public Information Act Requests


To review or obtain copies of Bowie State University records, you must make a written request under Maryland’s Public Information Act (“MPIA”).  The MPIA, which gives the public the right to review and obtain copies of releasable public records, is found in the State Government Article, §§10-611 through 10-630, of the Annotated Code of Maryland.


Please make requests in writing and include the following information in your request:

US Street Address
City, State and Zip Code
Specify the records that you are requesting
Telephone Number or Email Address

You may submit your request to:

Bowie State University
The Office of the President
Attn:  Public Information Request
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715
Fax: 301-860-3510


Bowie State University
University Relations and Marketing
Attn:  Public Information Request
14000 Jericho Park Road
Bowie, MD 20715


  1. Upon receipt of a request, the University will perform a preliminary assessment of your request to determine if the University is the appropriate custodian of the records. The University will also review the request for completeness.
  2. The  MPIA, at Section  10-621, permits the University to charge for the search, preparation and reproduction of a public record to be made available for inspection—excluding the first two hours of work. Copies of the records will be provided upon payment of an additional fee of $0.30 per page.
  3. The University requires payment for any estimated amount due before the work is performed. The search, preparation and copying process will begin upon receipt of the total estimated fee. If the actual fee differs from the estimate, the fee will be adjusted accordingly, and you will receive an additional bill or refund as appropriate.
  4. Please make your money order or check payable to "Bowie State University" and send it to the address above.
  5. If the University does not receive your payment within thirty (30) calendar days from the date of our reply, it will presume that you are no longer interested in pursuing your request and close the file accordingly. To obtain the documents, you must submit a new request.
  6. Persons who disagree with  any response to a request may seek review of the decision in accordance with the MPIA.