Bowie State University (BSU) is committed to promoting a healthy and smoke- free environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors. This policy is intended to reduce the health risks related to smoking and secondhand smoke for the campus community. Smoke and tobacco-free policies are becoming a standard to foster a healthy environment in municipalities, businesses, colleges and universities alike.
BSU has found that a significant percentage of faculty, staff and students do not smoke and smoke is offensive to many non-smokers. It is harmful and even debilitating to some individuals due to their physical condition and there is evidence suggesting that passive smoke inhalation is harmful to non-smokers. In response to the above considerations, it is hereby established as the policy of BSU to achieve a public facility environment as close to smoke-free as practicably possible. Obtaining and maintaining this result will require the willingness, understanding and patience of all members of the campus community.
It is the policy of BSU to follow all federal, state or local laws regarding smoking. This policy is in addition to any such guidelines or policies which may be in effect. Smoking is prohibited in all property owned, leased or operated by BSU. This consists of all buildings, including residence halls, entry ways, recreational and athletic spaces, practice facilities and in all BSU-owned or leased vehicles.
1. Smoking - the carrying or burning of tobacco or any other material to be inhaled in any type of smoking equipment, including but not restricted to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, etc.
2. Entities Affected - all individuals on BSU's campus, including faculty, staff, students, parents, vendors and visitors.
B. Prohibitions Against Smoking
1. Smoking is prohibited in indoor locations.
2. Smoking is prohibited outside of buildings within 25 feet of any building entrance, air intake duct, or window.
1. Smoking is permitted for the purpose of controlled research, educations, theatrical or religious ceremonies, with prior express approval of the President or their designee.
2. Smoking is permitted in limited and specific designated area as marked and approved by the President. Persons smoking in designated areas must dispose of any cigarettes or other materials in provided receptacles.
Department Heads or their designees are responsible for the following:
1. Assuring that this policy is communicated to everyone within their jurisdiction and to all new members of the campus community.
2. Enforcing this policy within his or her administrative unit.
This policy relies on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of smokers and non-smokers for its success. It is the responsibility of all members of the campus community to observe this policy and its guidelines. Complaints, concerns or disputes regarding the institution or implementation of this policy should be referred to one's immediate supervisor for resolution. If a resolution cannot be reached, the matter will be referred by the supervisor to the appropriate department head or vice president for mediation.
Any employee or student who violates this policy may be subject to disciplinary action.
Effective Date: 03/07/1995
Revised Date: 06/11/2012