Bowie State University, in complying with University of Maryland System Administration policy, permits certain members of the Maryland National Guard ("MNG") who are admitted to the University, to register on a space available basis for credit courses as a regular or special student and receive a 50% waiver of the regular in-state undergraduate or graduate tuition, after taking into consideration all other sources of financial aid, except educational loans. Such financial aid, including tuition remission, shall not exceed the cost of six (6) credit hours per semester. In order to be eligible to participate, a MNG member must have at least twenty-four (24) months remaining to serve in the MNG as certified by the Maryland Adjutant General, or have agreed in writing to serve for a minimum of twenty-four (24) months.
Qualified MNG members are eligible for a 50% waiver of the regular in-state undergraduate or graduate tuition, after taking into consideration all other sources of financial aid, including the tuition remission, but excluding educational loans. Such tuition remission shall not exceed the cost of up to six (6) credit hours per semester.
This policy applies to certain MNG members who have at least twenty-four (24) months remaining to serve and have been admitted through the normal application process and are registered for up to six (6) credit hours per semester. A member is not eligible to receive a waiver if he/she will receive financial aid that exceeds the costs of six (6) credit hours for an in-state undergraduate or graduate per semester, including tuition remission and excluding education loans.
Members of the MNG must be certified by the Maryland Adjutant General to participate in this program. Certification includes active status and time remaining to serve. The member must also be approved by the Director of Financial Aid for the University.
A. The MNG Member:
1. Must be admitted to the University prior to registering for courses. Must have written certification from the Adjutant General verifying either active status or remaining time to serve each for a minimum of twenty-four (24) months;
2. Must register during the late registration period for courses with space available as printed in our course schedule booklet;
3. Once registered, obtain a Statement of Account from the Office of Student Accounts, which include all charges for the semester;
4. Must present a copy of the Maryland Adjutant General's written certification and the Statement of Account to Director of Financial Aid for approval.
B. The Director of Financial Aid or His/Her Designee:
1. Will certify the dollar amount of waiver on the Financial Aid Form and enter amount on Student Information System;
2. Will maintain certification documents and Financial Aid approval. Take Financial Aid Form to the Office of Student Accounts for payment processing;
3. Review accounts at the end of each semester to assure continued eligibility of MNG members. Provide a list of members for each semester by June 30 each year in order to comply with reporting deadlines.
A MNG member may be deemed ineligible to participate for one or more of the following reasons:
A. The member has not been formally admitted to the University;
B. The member fails to provide proper documentation, including proper signatures certifying eligibility to participate;
C. The member is discharged during the semester from his/her active duty status in the MNG;
D. The member is receiving financial aid, except educational loans, from any one of the following sources (federal, state, institutional or private aid) that exceeds the cost of six (6) credit hours per semester for an in-state undergraduate or graduate student. (Please refer to the approved schedule of charges for the semester in question.)
Effective Date: 02/07/2002