TO: The Bowie State University Community
FROM: Ernest Waiters, Chief
Department of Public Safety
DATE: October 6, 2010
Campus Safety Update for Oct. 7 Event
On Thursday, October 7, 2010, President Barack Obama will be on Bowie State University's campus. The event is open to invited members of the general public who have registered to attend. We expect record crowds on our campus. The BSU Department of Public Safety is requesting the cooperation of faculty, staff and students, by following and understanding several safety measures designed to enhance the security of President Obama, while allowing our campus community to participate in this historic event. We are requesting all students, faculty and staff attending the event to follow the listed procedures below.
- It is extremely important that people do not attempt to view the event from any university residence hall or office building window. All windows are required to be closed and all blinds must remain closed during President Obama's speech. Any sudden motion or activity from any window disrupts the event and causes security concerns. Everyone interested in the event should attend; it will not be feasible to view the event from a residence hall window. (Failure to follow these instructions will be reason to remove you from the residence hall as well as subject you to judicial sanctions via the Bowie State University Student Code of Conduct)
- All students are required to have a Bowie card to enter the event location. United States Secret Service agents and police officers have been informed that all students entering the event will have a Bowie Card in their possession. For your convenience, registered students, faculty and staff will enter the event through the walkway between Holmes Hall and Kennard Hall. Furthermore, all persons entering the event will be required to be screened by metal detectors.
Do not bring any large backpacks or bags. All bags will be screened. Do not bring any umbrellas, horns, laser pointers, hand tools, sharp objects, weapons, toy guns, pepper spray, glass, aerosol cans or soda cans. Please arrive early (by 12:30 p.m.) to allow time to go through screening.
- All vehicles must be removed from parking Lot F and Lot E no later than 5 p.m. on Wednesday, October 6, 2010. All other parking lots will remain open. Failure to do so will result in your vehicle being towed.
- On Thursday, October 7: Loop Road from Campus Drive to Loop Road at Lot E will be closed from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. Vehicles and pedestrian traffic will be restricted on Loop Road, including the sidewalk area.
- The Leonidas S. James Physical Education Complex will be closed to all students, faculty and staff from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. on Thursday, October 7, 2010.
This is a very special occasion for our campus community. I want to thank all students, faculty and staff in advance for your understanding and cooperation with these important security measures. By working together we can ensure the safety and security of the campus community and visitors.
If you have any questions please contact me at 301 860-4050 or the Department of Campus Safety at 301-860-4040.