Girls Who Will
Fill out the online form.
Print out the Teacher Recommendation Form and take it to your child's teacher for completion.
Email your child's most recent report card to Dr. Lamar.
Payment can be made in person at the BSU Cashiers Office (BSU Campus, Henry Administration Building) or using a credit card by phone (301-860-3495). Make checks payable to “Bowie State University” include “Girls Summer Camp ID# 990265 and ‘Campers Name’″.
To view the documents above, download the free Adobe Acrobat reader by clicking here.
Girls Who Will (GWW) is a summer program for middle and high school aged girls at the Department of Computer Science at Bowie State University headed by Dr. Courtney Lamar. In the first year, twenty-seven (27) girls completed the GWW Program. During the week-long program, participants created mobile apps using AppInventor and designed and implemented digital games using Scratch.
To date, seventy (70) girls from middle school and high school have participated in the program.
The program coordinators are looking forward to hosting more young ladies in the summer of 2017.
Middle School Camp, June 19-23, 2017
High School Camp, June 26-30, 2017
The camp meets in the Computer Science Building at Bowie State University.
Cost: $125 per student on or before June 1, 2017.
$150 per student between June 1 and June 9, 2017.
- Must provide your own transportation
- Camper must bring his own lunch each day
- We provide snacks, books, materials, professor and student assistance
The girls will learn about:
- Computer Science – learn about career opportunities for women in Computer Science
- Game Design & Development – use a visual programming environment to create digital games
- App Development -create mobile apps for Android devices
- Cybersecurity – learn how to encrypt data for secure transmission across networks
Our goals are to:
- Share our Passion- about Computer Science, Computing, and Technology with middle and high school aged girls.
- Provide a Foundation – upon which girls can use as the basis for making career decisions
For more information, contact Dr. Courtney Lamar (firstname.lastname@example.org).