B.S. in Computer Science
The Computer Science degree is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. Graduates of the program will be prepared to build software for simple applications or for more complex systems, will be familiar with the latest software development trends, or to pursue graduate studies in a computer science related field.
*The COSC department's Cyber Security specialization enables students to pursue a cyber security focus along with their area of interest in Computer Science. Click here for details.
Bowie State University has been designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. Students have an option to choose their elective courses in Cybersecurity, thereby earning a Certificate of Completion stating that all mandatory knowledge unit requirements have been satisfied in Cyber Defense Education. Click here for details.
Program Educational Objectives
Recipients of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science:
- Will apply theoretical principles and practical tools through programming and other techniques to analyze and solve real-world problems.
- Will communicate effectively orally and in writing, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Will become professionally employed and/or enrolled in advanced graduate studies in Computer Science.
Graduates of the Computer Science program will, by the time of graduation, have an appreciation of professional standards, and the following knowledge, and abilities.
- Analyze a complex computing problem and to apply priciples of computing and other relevant disciplines to identify solutions.
- Design, implement, and evaluate a computing-based solution to meet a given set of computing requirments in the context of the program's discipline.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of professional contexts.
- Recognize professional responsibilities and make informed judgements in computing practice based on legal and ethical priciples.
- Function effectively as a member or leader of a team engaged in activities appropriate to the program's discipline.
- Apply computer science theory and software development fundamentals to produce computing-based solutions.