B.S. in Computer Technology
The Bachelor of Science in Computer Technology degree is for the student whose primary interest is in applying computing technology to create real-world Information Technology (IT) systems. Graduates of the program will be prepared to combine their knowledge of current computer tools and technologies and their expertise in effective communication within field settings.
Bowie State University has been designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency and the Department of Homeland Security. Students have an option to choose their elective courses in Cybersecurity, thereby earning a Certificate of Completion stating that all mandatory knowledge unit requirements have been satisfied in Cyber Defense Education. Click here for details.
The Computer Technology degree is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Recipients of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Technology:
- Will apply core technological principles of hardware and software to analyze and solve real-world problems.
- Will communicate effectively orally and in writing, as an individual and as a member of a team.
- Will become professionally employed and/or enrolled in professional development, including advanced graduate studies, in Computer Technology or a related area.
Graduates of the Computer Technology Program will, by the time of graduation, have the following knowledge, abilities, and appreciation of professional standards.
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues and responsibilities
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations, and society
- Recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in continuing professional development
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practice
Student Enrollment by Semester
Fall 2011 - 185
Fall 2012 - 171
Fall 2013 - 170
Fall 2014 - 197
Fall 2015 - 180
Fall 2016 - 216
Data source: BSU Fact Book Fall 2015
Degrees Granted by Semester
Spring 2013 - 21
Spring 2014 - 20
Spring 2015 - 27
Spring 2016 - 38
INTERNET TECHNOLOGY & MULTIMEDIA
The principle objective of the CTEC Internet Technology and Multimedia track is to teach students multimedia and internet concepts. This track provides hands-on design while preparing students to include multimedia within various design projects such as web pages, marketing tools and database.
NETWORKING & SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION
The principle objective of the CTEC Networking and System Administration track is to provide a strong foundation in Server Administration (Windows & Linux), networking concepts and practical hands-on experience. This will prepare students for careers in the areas of Network Administration, Internetworking and Network Security.
DATABASE DEVELOPMENT & ADMINISTRATION
The principle objective of the CTEC Database Development and Administration track is to provide students with Database Administration, Design, Development concepts as well as hands-on experience using Oracle and Microsoft Access. This track provides students with the tools to become Database Administrators and Developers.
COMPUTER & NETWORK SECURITY
The principle objective of the CTEC Computer and Network Security track is to provide a strong foundation in computer security principles, as well as practical hands-on experience. Successful students would have tools to become Information Assurance and Security professionals.
To view the PDF documents on this page, download the free Adobe Acrobat reader.