Smith Vidal Writing Center
Grow as a Writer
The Smith Vidal Writing Center helps Bowie State University students become more effective and confident writers. Our goal is to engage the University community in face-to-face conversations about writing. Growth and learning are the intended outcomes for each conversation.
Our tutors can assist you through all stages of the writing process with any type of writing task. Whether you are concerned with organization, development, formatting, documentation style or other conventions, we can help. Our tutors, however, will not edit or revise your documents; you are ultimately responsible for your own writing.
What We Offer:
- One-on-one tutorials
- Small group sessions
- Group workshops (including for the EPE)
- Short in-class visits
- Writing and grammar resources
We Help Students:
- Understand writing assignments
- Overcome writing challenges
- Develop and research essay topics
- Document research in MLA and APA styles
- Become more confident and effective writers
Tutoring sessions are by appointment and last up to 50 minutes. Please, come prepared and expect to work during your session. Tutoring sessions will only be as successful as the amount of work you put into them.
- Email, call, or stop by MLK 204 to schedule an appointment
- Submit your essay draft or writing sample to Writing Center staff
- Submit a copy of all assignment materials
- Arrive on time to appointment