As a history and government major, you will gain a broad understanding of the complex historical, social, economic and political forces within society. In addition to building strong critical thinking skills, you will also:
- Identify key factors that connect and differentiate significant historical periods.
- Analyze political and cultural activities, behavior and trends throughout history.
- Study ancient African and European civilizations and their impact on the world.
- Compare thinkers, philosophers and leaders who have made significant contributions to political thought.
Examine the inner workings of government and major policy areas, including civil rights, budgets and spending, crime and punishment, and economic growth.
Excel: Our student organizations for history and government majors include the Bowie State chapters of Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honor Society and Phi Alpha Theta History Honor Society, which support students with high academic achievement in their fields.
Join: The History and Government Club hosts activities and networking opportunities for students to enhance their learning experiences outside of the classroom.
People often ask “What can I do with a degree in history or government?” The answer is nearly anything. This program provides a solid foundation for careers including, but not limited to:
- Campaign manager
- Civil servant
- Intelligence agent
- Legal assistant
- Legislative correspondent
- Management consultant
- Manuscript specialist
- Museum curator
- National parks director
- Political editor
- Public policy planner
- Restoration contractor
- Research assistant