Accounting requires conceptualization. You’ll decipher and absorb the information in your courses, then exercise what you learn in hands-on applications that allow you to put the numbers to work. Learn cost and managerial accounting. Study auditing. Explore taxation. Our curriculum gives students a multi-dimensional perspective of accounting to introduce them to the many critical ways it influences and impacts business. You will:
- Identify key issues, then research and evaluate credible data sources to help solve them.
- Use quantitative and qualitative skills to gather and analyze information.
- Apply accounting standards that are applicable in US and in the global economy.
- Review, analyze and write financial and business reports.
- Understand how cultural and legal practices affect accounting in global business environments.
In addition, accounting students learn how to prepare individual and corporate tax returns from highly-credentialed professors who have decades of experience. Many are also entrepreneurs who own and operate successful practices and share not only theoretical knowledge, but practical experience with their students.
Join: The Bowie State chapter of the National Association of Black Accountants hosts many activities for students, from career fairs to panel discussions with CPA firm professionals.
Experience: Students have opportunities to intern with companies like Northrop Grumman, KPMG, CohnReznick, Goldman Sachs, Grant Thornton and PricewaterhouseCoopers. Typically, more than half of our seniors receive lucrative job offers—many with premier firms—before they even graduate.
Many of our accounting graduates are employed in leadership positions with top firms, while others pursue advanced degrees and certifications in business, tax law, information systems and finance. Whichever path you choose, accounting is in high demand and careers in accounting are numerous including, but not limited to:
- External Auditors
- Internal Auditors
- Partners in Accounting Firms
- GAO Accountants
- Accounting software developer
- Celebrity financial adviser
- Corporate accountant
- Financial Advisory Services
- Forensic accountant
- IRS Auditors
- Program analyst
- Tax accountant/planner
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)