Through a study of the economic, social and regulatory environments, students will examine core concepts and analytical tools necessary to make sound financial and business decisions. As a banking and finance student, you will:
- Master financial theories like asset valuation and time value of money.
- Articulate and defend financial decisions using appropriate business terminology.
- Strengthen the communication and teamwork skills you’ll need to lead.
- Develop mentoring abilities to provide clients with sound financial advice.
- Understand how current global and cultural issues affect business and finance.
Additionally, you will take core courses in economics, accounting and business administration. Through practicum and real-world experience, the program will teach you to understand financial risk and uncertainty. You’ll graduate with the working knowledge of financial analysis, management and systems.
Join: Students can enhance their studies and build their professional network by participating in organizations like the Finance and Economics Club, the National Association of Black Accountants or Delta Mu Delta International Honor Society in Business.
Experience: Bowie State graduates emerge in the workforce a few steps ahead of their competition – harnessing the leadership and analytical skills they’ve already learned in real- world application. Because of the university’s proximity to the power centers of Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Annapolis, they’ve had internship opportunities at prestigious institutions like the Department of Treasury, World Bank, International Monetary Funds and others.
While the field of banking and finance is broad, Bowie State’s program provides the essential concepts you’ll need to manage and create wealth in a variety of fields. Through internships and faculty mentorship, your career options include, but aren’t limited to:
- Bank manager
- Budget analyst
- Financial analyst
- Financial services sales representative
- Loan officer
- Manager trainee
- Personal finance advisor
- Real estate broker
- Risk management
- Security analyst