Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity and Inclusion in Department of Management, Marketing & Entrepreneurship, and the Master of Public Administration Program
Bowie State University’s is the First and oldest HBCU in the State of Maryland. Bowie State University has a rich history of embracing historically diverse underrepresented populations. Bowie State University has for over a 150 year provide opportunities for African American and other diverse groups of students to discover their strengths through focused academic experiences and opportunities to tackle real-world problems. While Bowie State University has always had a rich history of embracing diversity, it has always welcomed any race, ethnic, cultural and other diverse groups of students and faculty to learn and teach at the University.
In the Department of Management, Marketing & Entrepreneurship, and the Master of Public Administration defines diversity and inclusion as the following the:
- Diversity is used to describe individual differences (e.g. life experiences, learning and working styles, personality types) and group/social differences (e.g. race, socio-economic status, class, gender, sexual orientation, country of origin, ability, intellectual traditions and perspectives, as well as cultural, political, religious and other affiliations) that can be engaged to achieve excellence in teaching, learning, research, scholarship and administrative and support services.
- Inclusion is used to describe the active, intentional and ongoing engagement with diversity in people, in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum and in communities (e.g. intellectual, social, cultural, geographic) with which individuals might connect.
The concept of diversity among students and faculty in the Department of Management, Marketing & Public Administration Program also embraces the University’s values by providing opportunities for:
- Students to discover their strengths through focused academic experiences and opportunities to tackle real-world problems.
- Faculty from diverse background it is an opportunity to develop their scholarly in their academic discipline and utilize their real world experiences to enrich the student’s education at Bowie State University.
Because of the multi-ethnic and multi-cultural nature of BSU requires an atmosphere of tolerance and understanding of diverse groups, ideas, and opinions. Diversity is not limited to ethnic and/or racial diversity. It refers also to acceptance and respect for differences in individuals’ race, gender, physical abilities, and sexual orientation.
The University has a no tolerance policy for acts of destruction or violence which are racially, ethnically, religiously, and/or otherwise motivated against the person or property of others and which infringe upon the rights and freedom of others. Individuals committing such acts are subject to judicial and disciplinary action, and termination.
MPA Diversity and Inclusion Goals
The Department of Management, Marketing & Public Administration, and the Master of Public Administration pledges to
- Sustain an inclusive atmosphere through the recruitment and retention of students, faculty and staff from diverse and historically underrepresented populations
- Develop a curriculum that actively engages with the differential impact of public policy on various cultures and groups
- Foster an academic environment that promotes informed, honest and respectful dialogue on challenging policy and administrative issues.
The BSU MPA Diversity Plan, consist of the following major goals:
- Recruit and retain a diverse student population that is reflective of the local and global community;
- Recruit and retain a diverse faculty and staff that is reflective of the local and global community;
- Foster an environment, which welcomes and embraces diversity that is reflective of the local and global community;
- Encourage and invite faculty, students, and community members, representing the local and global community, to participate in class activities, presentations, departmental and university events.