Center for Natural Sciences, Mathematics and Nursing, Room 2162 301-860-3878 email@example.com
- Georgetown University, Postdoctoral Fellow, Drug Discovery (2011-2016)
- University of Maryland College Park, Doctor of Philosophy, Organic Chemistry (2006-2011)
- University of Maryland Baltimore County, Bachelors of Science, Chemistry (2001-2006)
- Analytical tools for drug delivery
- Synthetic strategies for chemical biology
- Methods to investigate resistant breast cancer
Awards & Honors
- NextProf Science Future Faculty Workshop Travel Award (2015)
- ACS Postdoc to Faculty Workshop Travel Award (2012)
- Anne Wylie Dissertation Fellowship (2011)
- Carl Storm Underrepresented Minority Fellowship (2010)
- Winston Gandy Graduate Research Award (2010)
- GAANN Fellowship (2009-2010)
- College of CMPS STAND Mentor of the Year (2009)
- NSF Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship (2006-2008)
- American Chemical Society Scholars (2002-2006)
- UMBC Meyerhoff Scholarship (2001-2006)
- National Organization of Black Chemists & Chem Engineers (NOBCChE)
- American Chemical Society (ACS), Organic Chemistry Division
Patents & Publications
- Jacqueline Smith, Yali Kong, Kongwen Li, Jake Cui, John Han, Shujie Hou, Milton Brown. Development of a novel near-infrared fluorescent theranostic Combretastain A-4 analogue, YK-5-252, to target triple negative bre ast cancer. Revisions submitted (2016)
- Lanier Heyburn, Michaeline Hebron, Jacqueline Smith , Charisse Winston, John Bechara, Zhaoxia Li, Irina Lonskaya, Mark P. Burns, Brent Harris, Charbel E-H Moussa. Tyrosine kinase inhibition reverses alterations of astrocytic function and amino acid dis-homeostasis in mice expressing neuronal TDP-43. J. Neurochem 2016 Nov; 139(4): 610-623
- Jung-Hye Ha, Yumi Eo, Alexander Grishaev, Min Guo, Jacqueline A.I. Smith, Herman Sintim, Eun-Hee Kim, Hae-Kap Cheong, William Bentley, Kyoung-Seok Ryu. Crystal structures of the LsrR proteins complexed with phospho-AI-2 and two signal-interrupting analogs reveal distinct mechanisms for ligand recognition. J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2013, 135 (41), 15526–15535.
- Varnika Roy, Mariana T. Meyer, Jacqueline A.I. Smith , Sonja Gamby, Herman O. Sintim, Reza Ghodssi, William E. Bentley. AI-2 analogs and antibiotics: A synergistic approach to reduce bacterial biofilms in a microflu idic setting. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 2013, 97 (6), 2627-2638.
- Sonja Gamby, Varnika Roy, Min Guo, Jacqueline A.I. Smith , Jingxin Wang, Jessica E. Stewart, Xiao Wang, William E. Bentley, Herman O. Sintim. Altering the communication networks of multispecies microbial systems using a diverse toolbox of AI-2 analogs. ACS Chem. Bio. 2012, 7 (6), 1023-1030.
- Min Guo, Sonja Gamby, Shizuka Nakayama, Jacqueline A.I. Smith, Herman O. Sintim. A pro-drug modulation of AI-2 me diated bacterial cell-to-cell communication. Sensors 2012, 12(3), 3762-3772.
- Kishore Kamaraju, Jacqueline A.I. Smith , Jingxin Wang, Varnika Roy, Herman O. Sintim, William E. Bentley, Sergei Sukharev. Effects on membrane lateral pressure suggest permeation mechanisms for bacterial quorum signaling molecules. Biochemistry 2011, 50 (32), 6983-6993.
- Jacqueline A.I. Smith , Varnika Roy, Jingxin Wang, Jessica E. Stewart, William E. Bentley, Herman O. Sintim. Synthetic analogs tailor native A I-2 signaling across bacterial species . J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132 (32), 11141–11150.
- Herman O Sintim, Jacqueline A.I. Smith , Jingxin Wang, Shizuka Nakayama, Lei Yan. Paradigm shift in discovering next-generation anti-infective agents: targeting quorum sensing, c-di-GMP signaling and biofilm f ormation in bacteria with small molecules Future Med Chem. 2010, 2 (6), 1005-1035.
- Jingxin Wang, Bogdan Stefane, Deana Jaber, Jacqueline A.I. Smith, Christopher Vickery, Mouhamed Diop and Herman O. Sintim. Remote C-H Functionalization: Using the N-O Moiety as an Atom-Economical Tether to Obtain 1,5- and the Rare 1,7-C-H Insertions. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 3964-3968.
- Jacqueline A.I. Smith , Jingxin Wang, Sao-Mai Nguyen-Mau, Vincent Lee and Herman O. Sintim. Biological screening of a diverse set of AI-2 analogs in Vibrio harveyi suggests that receptors, which are involved in synerg istic agonism of AI-2 and analogs are promiscuous. Chem. Commun. 2009, 7033-7035.
- Dakshanamurthy, Sivanesan; Brown, Milton L; Clarke, Robert; Shahjahan, Ayesha N.; Smith, Jacqueline . 2013. Small molecule inhibitors of XBP1 splicing for treating cancer, diabetes and obesity U.S. Patent 2012138715 filed April 4, 2012 and issued October 11, 2012.
- Sintim, Herman; Bentley, William E. Roy, Varnika; Smith, Jacqueline . 2012. Phosphorylated and branched dihydroxy-pentane-dione analogs as quorum sensing inhibitors in bacteria U.S. Patent 20120294900 filed March 26, 2012 and issued November 12, 2012