International Student Services
ADMISSIONS AND ARRIVAL
The deadline for receipt of admission applications and all required supporting documentation of international students is April 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester. All documentation required for the admission of international students must be submitted by these deadlines. Please note that the federal Form I-20 will not be issued for initial attendance at Bowie State University for any summer session.
International student applicants are required to follow the same application procedures as all other students when applying for admission to the University. However, there is additional documentation that must be provided by international students. Please access either the Undergraduate Admission page or Graduate Admissions page for complete details on the admissions process and specific information regarding international student admissions.
Once an international student applicant has been academically accepted by the University's admission office, a review of the immigration documents submitted in support of the issuance of a federal Form I-20 for the applicant will be done by the international/career counselor. Please note that along with a notarized Affidavit of Support (see link to U.S. Affidavit of Support on the left) from an applicant's sponsor, a bank or financial statement with a minimum balance of $25,765 for undergraduate study and $23,138 for graduate study must be submitted. Additionally, from the link provided on the left, please download, complete, and submit the supplemental information for I-20 request form.
International students transferring to Bowie State University from another U.S. college or university should request an International (F-1) Student Transfer Clearance Form. The transfer form should be completed and signed by the student's current international student advisor, then returned to Bowie State University as indicated on the form. Upon a favorable review of all immigration documents, the student's I-20 will be issued. The student's completed acceptance package from Bowie State University will consist of the following:
- An acceptance letter from the University's assistant vice president for enrollment management
- An informational letter from the international/career counselor
- An information sheet on how the student can pay the new SEVIS fee of $200 (if required)
- The Form I-20 (signed by the international/career counselor or other designated school official)
- A copy of the student's Affidavit of Support
Upon arrival in the United States, an international student must do the following:
- Make an appointment with the international/career counselor
- Student must bring his/her passport (containing F-1 student visa and I-94 arrival/departure card) to the meeting
- Attend both the University's new student orientation and the international/career counselor's new F-1 visa international student orientation
- Register for and take any required academic placement exams
- Meet with an appropriate academic advisor in order to select courses for the student's first semester
- Register for a full-time academic courseload (12 credit hours minimum for undergraduates and nine credit hours minimum for graduate study)
- Pay the generated tuition and fees bill, or register for the University's payment plan (where a tuition and fees deposit is made and an installment payment schedule for the balance is created)
Robert Batten, Director International Students
Thurgood Marshall Library, Rm 1122