The mission of the Bowie State University Student Support Services (SSS) program is to provide services that equip the TRIO Achievers academically, personally, and professionally, in a nurturing, innovative, and structured environment.
The objectives of the Bowie State University Student Support Services program include the following:
- 200 Participant Roster—The project will identify, screen, and select eligible participants in order to complete a 200-participant roster. At least two-thirds of the total participant roster, or 132 students, will be low-income and first-generation students or students with disabilities, and the remaining one-third, or 68 students, will be either low-income or first generation, or students with disabilities. At least one-third of all disabled students will also be low-income.
- Persistence—Of students accepted as participants in the SSS project, the following percentages will be enrolled in the institution or will have transferred or graduated in each of the specified years:
- 75% after their first year of enrollment
- 66% after their second year of enrollment
- 55% after their third year of enrollment
- 52% after their fourth year of enrollment
- 49% after their fifth year of enrollment
- 47% after their sixth year of enrollment
- Graduation Rate—Of students accepted as participants in the SSS project, 45% will have graduated by the end of their sixth year of enrollment.
- Good Academic Standing—Of students accepted as participants in the SSS project, 75% will maintain good academic standing (GPA of at least 2.0) at the end of each academic year.
- Administrative Requirements—The SSS project will meet 100% of the administrative requirements that include maintaining student records by cohort and required reporting and financial accountability by in-house monitoring.
- Needs Assessments—Of all students accepted as participants in the SSS project, 100% will be offered an academic needs assessment and student success plan.
- Financial Aid Resources—Of all students accepted as participants in the SSS project, 100% will be offered sufficient information on how to meet their full financial needs.
- Marketing—Each academic year, the SSS project will market project services to eligible participants and inform the Bowie State University community about the needs of SSS-eligible students through various print and electronic media.
- Graduate School—100% of project participants will be offered activities and information about attending graduate school and assistance in completing applications.
- Career Exploration—100% of project participants will be offered career exploration activities and assistance with career planning.