Undergraduate Honors Program
"I will prepare and when the opportunity presents itself, I will be ready." –Abraham Lincoln
The Honors Program was initiated to challenge highly motivated and academically talented students and to provide them a supportive environment. The program has for many years provided a myriad of exciting educational experiences for its students. Beginning with primarily cultural activities, the BSU Honors Program has expanded into various modes of academic instruction. In addition to the staff, many alumni continue to participate in and support the program's growth.
The program encourages traditional classroom instruction in special honors sections; special honors projects to obtain honors credits; honors colloquia to enhance independent study; field trips to regional historic sites; and seminars. The major benefit of any honors program is intellectual growth of its student participants. This growth is the result of meeting rigorous intellectual challenges fostered in a culturally and socially diverse atmosphere.
The program also provides:
- Use of the program's support facilities (including computers, honors seminar room, and small academic library)
- Opportunities to attend national, regional, and state-wide honors conferences, as well as cultural activities in the Baltimore-Washington-Annapolis area.
- Academic support groups
- Honors notation on academic transcripts
- Information on national scholarships and fellowships for academically talented students
- Involvement in community service projects
Students in the Honors Program demonstrate exceptional academic and leadership skills. Their activities allow them to engage in a community of like-minded students whose ideas, commitment to learning, and personal and intellectual endeavors propel them beyond the average student. Their classroom performance, research involvement, practicum experiences, and participation in forums, lectures, and travel give them a broader perspective on national and global issues.
- Heartfields Assisted Living Community
- Resume writing work
- The Big Help
- Project Hygiene
- Book Drive
- Bowie Interfaith Food Pantry
- Seasonal service projects
- Black History Month art exhibit
Monika E. Gross, EdD
Director University Honors Program
Bowie State University