Department of Counseling
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, school counseling graduates:
- Demonstrate an understanding of major theoretical counseling approaches.
- Demonstrate knowledge of ethical and legal issues related to the field of counseling psychology.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the use of DSM-5 (Diagnostic Statistical Manual, 5th Edition).
- Demonstrate skills necessary to plan & complete a research paper.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively use the problem-solving process to design and implement counseling interventions.
- Demonstrate an ability to apply a diverse/culturally responsive framework to all forms of practice (i.e., consultation, counseling, assessment, intervention design and implementation, professional training, etc.)
- Demonstrate the ability to use & interpret various interest inventories, aptitude tests, and other measures related to education and career choices