Public Health Informatics & Technology
Boldly prepare for tomorrow’s workforce with a bachelor’s degree in Public Health Informatics & Technology (PHIT). This groundbreaking program combines technology and communication processes to teach students to efficiently collect and disseminate health information and patient records.
With the use of electronic medical records (EMR) now federally mandated, healthcare providers have a great need to fill positions in this fast-growing industry. Bowie State’s faculty provide quality in-class instruction and ensure that students receive the valuable real-world experience needed to excel.
Return to the Department of Nursing
- What You'll Learn
- Special Opportunities
- Career Paths
- Program Requirements
Medical technology helps doctors, nurses and specialists work together more efficiently and provide a higher level of patient care. At BSU, our clinical experts collaborate with computer science faculty to prepare students for new roles in healthcare. In this program, you will:
- Explore strategies and solutions that ensure confidentiality, security, and integrity of heath information.
- Learn how to manage electronic health records and understand how they help minimize health disparities.
- Utilize data management and analytics tools like Python to analyze public health data.
- Analyze core public health functions, workflows, data, associated theories, methods, best practices and ethical and legal issues such as privacy and security.
- Communicate effectively—both verbally and in writing—using reports, technical documents and presentations.