Are you a Bowie State undergraduate student with an idea to start a new business or ready to grow an existing start-up business?
Apply to join the Summer Launch Program, a paid incubator program hosted by the Entrepreneurship Academy in collaboration with the Summer Undergraduate Research Institute, open to BSU undergraduate students of any major who want to launch a new or grow an existing business venture.
Over a nine-week period, aspiring and startup entrepreneurs work full-time to accelerate the development of their ideas/businesses, gain traction with customers, and build a case for investment with seed funders. Using the lean startup principles, participants work on the components of their business model and collect the data to validate whether their idea has growth potential.
How it works
- Complete your online application. You will be contacted for an interview. The top twelve students will be notified of their selection for the program.
- The program takes place in June and July.
- The cohort will meet every Monday - Thursday for coaching and co-working.
- Participants must be available to attend all sessions, as well as the showcase/demo events.
- If selected, participants will not be permitted to engage in any weekday (5:00 am – 4:30 pm) or overnight employment or internships.
What students get
Participants in the Summer Launch Program receive:
- Dedicated support from mentors, experienced entrepreneurs and peers.
- Workspace at Entrepreneurship Academy Student Hatchery, as well as access to the Bowie BIC and Economic Development Corporation, Prince George’s County, the Maryland Small Business Development Center and more.
- Expense stipend of $3,000 per student
- Each team member of a selected venture will receive a stipend up to three per team. For four or more team members there will be an equitable distribution of the stipend based on the three team member model.
- Introductions and feedback from local investors and entrepreneurs.
- Invitations to exclusive networking events, and opportunities to present their ideas to the Maryland/DC entrepreneurship community.
- Peer-to-peer learning in the cohort
Tentative program schedule
June 3-7 - Expectations, Program Overview and Lean Canvas Methodology
June 10-14 - Deep dive on customer discovery and refining the lean canvas model
June 17-21 - Customer Service
June 24-28 - Financials
July 1-3 - Marketing
July 8-12 - Operational Plans & Company Valuation
July 15-19 - Poster Design and Lean Canvas Development
July 22-26 - Prepping the Final Pitch and Demo Day
July 29-31 - Demo Day & Pitch Day
Contact Entrepreneurship Academy Executive Director Johnetta Hardy at email@example.com.