December 16, 2021
As mentioned in recent Community Announcements, Bowie State University has experienced a significant increase in COVID-19 cases over the last 72 hours. The President’s Cabinet, student leadership and COVID-19 committee are in constant communication to ensure that we are able to celebrate the accomplishments of our winter graduates while keeping the health and safety of our community as a top priority.
After hearing concerns from student leaders, we have decided to move the 2021 Winter Commencement Ceremony from the covered, heated tent on Holmes Quad to the A.C. Jordan Arena at the Leonidas S. James Physical Complex with 6-foot social distancing.
To keep our community safe, the following guidelines have been put in place:
- The Commencement participants must adhere to 6-foot social distancing inside A.C. Jordan Arena. Only graduates, faculty, administrators and support staff will be allowed inside the arena.
- Graduates participating in the ceremony must upload negative COVID-19 test results to the BSU Wellness Portal 72 hours before the ceremony. Tests results will be accepted from the Wellness Center or a 3rd party vendor.
- Graduates not attending the ceremony will have the option to participate in the 2022 Spring Commencement Ceremony.
- Graduates will receive 5 tickets for guests to view the ceremony via live stream at satellite locations around the campus. All guests are required to provide a photo ID and proof of COVID-19 vaccination to gain entry.
- Those who are unable or unwilling to attend the ceremony in person are encouraged to watch the live stream at bowiestate.edu/commencement.
We recognize the importance of allowing graduates to share this exciting and momentous occasion with friends and family, and are committed to ensuring that the day remains a special one despite recent developments.