Changes to On-Campus Services
Computer Resources Update
Delivery of loaner Chromebook computers to assist students with access to online instruction is continuing. Most students received devices this week, but a few additional ones will be delivered on Monday.
With the completion of Chromebook distribution to students, the computer labs on the lower level of Thurgood Marshall Library will close to in-person traffic at 5 p.m. Tuesday, 4/28/20. The HelpDesk will remain available to provide technical assistance remotely during it regular posted hours, seven days a week.
Student Center Operations
The Student Center is now open Monday – Friday from 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. to support dining operations in the Pub providing grab-and-go meals for approved resident students who remain on campus. The remainder of the building is closed.
The BSU Bookstore is also closed but textbook rentals can be returned via mail. Students with active rentals will receive an email no later than May 10 with instructions on printing shipping labels and mailing their books by the required deadline. For questions, please contact Joshua Gunn, Bookstore Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report of Positive COVID-19 Tests
Unfortunately, we received notification this week that two additional members of the Bowie State community have tested positive for COVID-19. This makes a total of eight who have been confirmed with the disease. We extend best wishes for their recovery and well-being.
Services Continue for Sexual Assault Survivors
As we approach the end of April, designated Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), Bowie State University remains committed to providing services for sexual assault survivors during the COVID-19 crisis through the Henry Wise Wellness Center (Partners in Peace Sexual Violence Prevention Program) and the Office of Equity Compliance.
Reports indicate that during this uncertain time, survivors of sexual violence may be experiencing increased dangers and isolation. Bowie State University staff are available to provide support to survivors of sexual violence, even as this health crisis persists. Stay up to date regarding online resources and support by visiting the Henry Wise Wellness Center and the Office of Equity Compliance online.
If you need to talk, the National Sexual Assault Hotline is available at 800.656.HOPE or online.rainn.org. As always, sexual assault services for Bowie State University students are free and can be confidential. In an emergency after 5 p.m. or on weekends, please contact Campus Police at 301-860-4040.
To report a complaint of sexual misconduct, please:
- Complete the complaint form on the Equity Compliance website
- A representative from the Office of Equity Compliance will contact you within 48 business hours of receiving your request.
- You may also contact Jasmyn Lucas, Equity Investigator and Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIXCoordinator@bowiestate.edu
To find information on your local rape crisis center, including hotline numbers and available services during COVID-19, please visit:
- Hotlines for domestic violence and sexual assault
- Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center
- RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)
- Courtney’s House (Human Trafficking Resource)
Bowie State University Contacts
- Bowie State University: Counseling Services (Confidential employee)
- Isha Taylor-Kamara (Responsible employee/non-confidential employee)
Monday- Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Jasmyn Lucas (Responsible employee/non-confidential employee)