Student Health Insurance
Bowie State University encourages all students to maintain health insurance coverage. Students who are not covered under their parents’ health insurance must sign up for individual coverage under the Affordable Care Act. Students are encouraged to register for health insurance through the Maryland Health Connection, the state-based health insurance marketplace.
Open enrollment is from November 1 to December 15 for coverage starting January 1
The Maryland Health Connection provides uninsured Marylanders access to quality health insurance plans. You can compare the insurance plans and choose the best plan. The website also includes the online application and information.
There are three ways to sign up:
- Complete the online enrollment process at the Maryland Health Connection website or HealthCare.gov (if you are not a Maryland resident).
- Sign up by phone.
- 1-855-642-8572 (toll free); 1-855-642-8573 (TTY) – For Maryland residents
- 1-800-318-2596; 1-855-889-4325 (TTY) – For non-Maryland residents
- Meet in person with a navigator to complete enrollment.
Bowie State University also encourages international students to maintain health insurance. A minimum of $50,000 coverage is recommended. If you are an international student and would like to purchase health insurance, visit the ISO Insurance website for more information.
University System of Maryland Fact Sheets
Students can learn more about the Affordable Care Act and how it affects them by reading the following University System of Maryland fact sheets:
- USM Communique to Students: USM and the Affordable Care Act
- What Students Need to Know About the Affordable Care Act
To view the PDF documents on this page, download the free Adobe Acrobat reader by clicking here.