COVID-19 Updates

BSU is open. Non-essential employees are mostly teleworking, and classes are taking place remotely for the Winter Session.


Are students required to live on campus at Bowie State University?

No, students are not required to stay on campus.

Are the residence halls co-ed?

There are four co-ed buildings: Haley Hall, Goodloe Apartments, The Enclave(off campus site) and Christa McAuliffe Residential Community (CMRC). Kennard Hall and Holmes Hall are designated for first-time freshmen and upper-college males. Towers Hall and Tubman Hall are designated for freshman and upper-college females.

Can I submit my application without my room application fee?

No, all applicants must pay a $200 non-refundable room application fee with the Office of Student Accounts. If the application fee is not paid, the application cannot be accessed.

Will my financial aid cover my room application fee or can the application fee be waived?

No, financial aid does not cover your application fee. We do not waive the application fee fee. ALL APPLICANTS MUST PAY THE application fee IN ORDER TO APPLY.

Can I bring my own furniture?

No, furniture is provided for you. Each room is furnished with a bed, mattress, desk, desk chair, dresser, closet space and blinds or shades for the window.

What is the size of my room?

The average room size is approximately 12x15 ft.

Do the rooms have cable TV?

Yes, there is a cable connection in each room and it is available in the lobby of each of the traditional residence halls.

Is there a Wi-Fi connection in the residence halls?

Yes, each student should be able to access the university Wi-Fi. Students may bring their own personal computers.

Is my room application fee refundable?

No, The room application fee is NON-REFUNDABLE. It counts as a credit on your account. There is only one account with the University and this application fee will be applied towards your tuition and fees. If there is a credit after your bill is satisfied, you will receive a refund from the University.  If we are not able to place you by the end of the assignment process (two weeks after the semester has begun) and you choose not to attend the University, your room application fee may be refunded back to you. If you cancel your housing application prior to the end of the assignment process, you will not be eligible to receive a refund.

How can I request medical or disability accommodations?

You must contact the Office of Special Populations at (301) 860-3286.

What happens if I do not receive a room assignment?

Students who are not offered a room for the fall term may reapply for accommodations for the spring term. A $200 non-refundable room application fee must be paid and a new housing application submitted.

Will I be billed monthly for my room and board?

No, students have one account with the University. All fees (tuition, room/board, etc.) are listed on that one account. In order to take possession of a room on campus, the student’s bill must reflect a zero balance, a credit, financial aid or anticipated aid that covers the balance. This must be posted on the students’ account. However, payment options are available through the Office of Student Accounts. You must pay or make arrangements to cover any balance prior to moving in. The Office of Residence Life does not handle any financial arrangements. All payments for student bills are handled through the Office of Student Accounts. If you have any questions regarding making payments you must call that office at (301) 860-3490/3491.

Will financial aid cover my bill?

It depends on your award package. As stated before, the Office of Residence Life does not handle payments or financial awards. For information concerning financial aid, please call that office at (301) 860-3540/3541.

Can I arrive early?

Students may not arrive early. Please make arrangements to arrive and adhere to the check in schedule that will be distributed at a later date.

Can I cancel my room and will I still be charged?

Residence Hall contracts are for an entire academic school year. A new student who cancels his/her room assignment and meal plan will not be assessed a severance fee provided a written request is submitted to the ORL prior to the designated check-in date.  All new students that cancel after the start of the new student check-in period will be assessed a $300.00 severance fee. Students who desire to cancel their room assignment and meal plan once classes have begun must complete a Contract Release Form.  The student will be responsible for the entire cost of the room and meal plan if the release is denied. 

What happens if I decide I do not want my room after the semester starts or at the end of the Fall semester?

Please read your contract carefully. Contracts are for an entire academic year (Fall and Spring Semester). If you have a contract and do not check in, you are still responsible for the bill unless you have been released from your contract. 

Will I be placed with a freshman?

Freshmen are usually placed in the freshman residence halls. However, due to the high volume of applications that are received, it is a possibility that an upper-college resident may be placed with a first-year resident.

Am I required to have a meal plan?

Yes, all students residing on campus are required to have a meal plan. If you choose not to use your meal plan, there is no refund.

Can I change my meal plan?

Yes, students may change their meal plans during the first two weeks of the semester.

What if I want a single?

You may request a single. However, there are a limited number of singles. Singles are given based on classification, credit hours, grade point average and the order that the request is received. Upper-college students have priority. Freshmen are not eligible for single rooms. 

Please note: there are no single rooms in Haley Hall.

Can I choose my own roommate?

You may request a specific person to be your roommate; however, it is only a request and does not guarantee that you will receive the person that you requested.

How will I know my room and my roommate?

An email will be sent out to the BSU email address of all students that receive a room. The email will include information on how to find your building and room assignment and will provide access to emailing your roommate.

Can I change halls or roommates?

You may make a request for a different hall or roommate ten days after school has started. It is only a request and does not guarantee that you will receive the change that you desire.

Can freshmen have cars?

No; Bowie State University, like many other campuses, has the policy that first-year residential freshmen are not allowed to have cars on campus.

Do I have to completely move all of my belongings out during breaks?

The residence halls are closed and residents may not be in residence during official University vacation or break periods, i.e. Thanksgiving, winter and spring breaks.  

The resident returning to the same room between semesters( winter break) will not have to remove all of their personal items, just those things they think they may need over the break, i.e. medications or tablets if the resident is in good financial standing with the university.

Residents who have a balance with the university from the fall semester will have to remove everything from the room during the winter break. There will be no exceptions.

Are appliances allowed?

Small refrigerators, stereos, computers and TVs are allowed. Large appliances, microwaves, toasters, hot plates, toaster ovens, crock pots, George Foreman grills, etc. are not allowed. Students may rent a Microfridge directly from MyFridgeRental. The phone number is (301) 758-7967, or you may visit or email This is the only safe and acceptable microwave allowed in the residence halls.

What happens if my property is lost, stolen or damaged?

Bowie State University is not responsible for lost, damaged or stolen property.  Please obtain private insurance to protect your belonging.