Alternative Spring Break Service Trip
Trip dates: March 18-22, 2019
This year’s Alternative Spring Break (ASB) trip is focused on serving the residents of Charleston, South Carolina. Service may include working at local community organizations such as churches, food banks and schools. Students will also have the opportunity to participate in cultural and educational events.
Charleston is known as one of the most diverse communities in the United States where the rich culture of the Gullah people is influenced by the enslaved Africans who settled there. After slavery and the Civil War, they formed tightly knit communities. Today, they live in small farming and fishing units. You will experience the Oyotunju African Village and Boone Hall Plantation, a historic site founded in 1681. You will also experience what life was like on a plantation.
To be considered for the ASB program, you must apply by 12 a.m. Friday, March 8, 2019 by email. The application deadline is now extended to Tuesday, 3/12/19 at noon.
- Download the application (pdf)
- To apply, you must have at least a 2.5 GPA and no judicial or code of conduct violations.
- Email your completed form and a copy of your unofficial transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- If selected, you will be notified by email by March 10, 2019.
- Cost to BSU students: $100 (you are required to cover your meals during the week)
- The full $100 payment must be made by March 11, 2019, by 4 p.m. in the Division of Student Affairs, Henry Administration Building, Suite 2500.
- Only cash payments can be accepted.
Program fees include the following:
- Lodging accommodations
- Admission for tours
- Participant Agreement
- Financial Obligation Form