Skip to Main Content

Cooperative Education

Cooperative Education is a unique plan of educational enrichment designed to enhance self-realization and direction. This plan is accomplished through the integration of classroom theory with a planned and supervised practical work experience related to the student's major field of academic study and career goals.

Types of Cooperative Education Programs 

There are two types of Cooperative Education programs at Bowie State University that you can participate in.

  • Parallel Co-op is like a part-time job. The student goes to school full-time and works about 20 hours per week each semester. Students receive six credits for Parallel Co-op.
  • Alternating Co-op is when the student alternates semesters between full-time work and full-time study. Students receive 12 credits for Alternating Co-op.

Eligibility Requirements for the Cooperative Education Program

Students holding part-time or full-time jobs may petition for academic credit. To receive academic credits, you must:

  • Have completed a minimum of 24 credit hours of college.
  • Be a sophomore, junior, senior, or graduate student with a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA on a 4.0 scale. If you are a transfer student, you must have a minimum of 24 credits.
  • Have a job that is related to your academic discipline
  • Be willing to Co-op a minimum of two work periods
  • Graduate students must have completed one semester and maintained a GPA of 3.0 or better
  • Transfer students must have completed one full semester at Bowie State University, unless the student is transferring as a Co-op student. The transfer student must also have a GPA of 2.5 or better.

Registration Procedures

Students who meet and agree to adhere to the conditions outlined for the Cooperative Education program may apply for participation in the program through the Career Development Center.  Although placements cannot be guaranteed, the process includes the following:

  • Meet with the Cooperative Education Program Coordinator in the Career Development Center to discuss your interest in earning academic credit for your current work experience. Bring your job description and unofficial transcript with you.
  • If you’re searching for a job, register for Bulldogs4Hire to assist you with your job search while completing your application for the Cooperative Education Program. 
  • Prepare a resume for review by the Career Development Center staff (upload on Bulldogs4Hire)
  • Meet with your faculty advisor and/or department chair to discuss receiving credit for your work experience. Pick up the Cooperative Education Program application from the Career Development Center or download the packet on this page.  Take this application along with your job description with you to your meeting.
  • Once your faculty advisor and/or department chair has determined that academic credit can be earned, they will complete and sign the Learning Contract and the Cooperative Education Request for Credit form
  • Submit all completed documents to the Cooperative Education Coordinator in the Career Development Center
  • Register for the applicable cooperative education credits as indicated by your faculty advisor and/or department chair
  • Attend the Cooperative Education Orientation (see Calendar of Events for dates and times)


For additional information on participating in the Cooperative Education program, please schedule an appointment to speak with the Cooperative Education Coordinator in the Career Development Center.


Co-Op Packet (Non Business Majors)

Co-Op Packet for Business Majors

The Federal Student Career Experience Program (SCEP) Addendum  

Release of Information Form


To view the PDF documents on this page, download the free Adobe Acrobat reader by clicking here.