VI - 4.10 - Guidelines on the Use of University Facilities
Bowie State University facilities are available for use by university departments/divisions; recognized student groups and affiliated organizations; and community and outside organizations. For purposes of determining rental fees and other requirements, use of university facilities falls into one of three categories: (1) rental by external organizations or businesses; (2) department/division-sponsored use; and (3) events hosted by the University. The Conference Services office within the Division of Student Affairs is responsible for scheduling use and rental of university facilities.
II. FACILITIES USAGE STANDARDS
A. Rental: An external organization or business requests use of university facilities for a meeting, program and/or activity and is charged a room rental fee and other applicable charges.
B. Department or division-sponsored: The activity or event is identified, planned and promoted as a Bowie State University program. A department or division determines the content and agenda, and is responsible for organizing all logistics and paying any costs, where applicable.
C. University hosted activity or event: The event is planned and promoted by an affiliated organization or an external organization or agency with which the University has a relationship. The University derives some benefit from holding the program on campus. The external organization or agency or affiliated organization is primarily responsible for determining content, agenda and logistics for the event.
A. Rental -
- Program/activity is not endorsed by Bowie State University.
- Bowie State University personnel not involved in planning, etc.
- Rental fee applies (rates may vary).
- All other charges apply (g., catering, housekeeping, equipment, security, etc.).
- Liability insurance is required.
- Contract is required.
B. Department or division-sponsored -
- Sponsoring department must be a recognized university entity.
- Applies to officially recognized and established student organizations.
- Representative from the sponsoring department must be present for duration of event.
- Representative from sponsoring department must serve as point of contact for Conference Services.
- Program or activity must be consistent with and support the mission of the University.
- No rental fee is required.
- Sponsoring department covers applicable costs (e.g., catering, equipment, housekeeping, security, overtime).
- Additional liability insurance may be required if there is risk of exposure to the University in connection with the program or activity. Assessment of risk is performed by the Office of Administration and Finance in consultation with the General Counsel.
C. University hosted activity or event -
- University “host” must be a BSU department/division or recognized university organization.
- Hosting department must have prior written approval by Provost, a Vice President, Academic Dean or authorized cabinet member and the Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Affiliated organizations must be officially recognized by the University System of Maryland (USM) Board of Regents and must have a current Memorandum of Understanding with BSU.
- Program or activity must be consistent with the mission of the University.
- Rental fee may be reduced or waived.
- All other charges apply.
- Contract is required.
- Liability insurance is generally not required, but may be required if there is risk of exposure to the University in connection with the program or activity. Assessment of risk is performed by the Office of Administration and Finance in consultation with the General Counsel.
- Rental fee may be waived:
- for University System of Maryland (USM) events/activities;
- for events held by federal, state or local government agencies or officials, unless such events are political in nature or involve risk to the University;
- for events held by BSU affiliated organizations officially recognized by USM; and
- unless a fee is charged for admission to the event or program.
Effective Date: 04/28/1994 Revision Date: 10/11/2016