College of Business
Our Accounting, Finance, and Economics majors have had great success in finding high-paying positions in the Washington, DC, and Baltimore areas. Many of our alumni work in reputed accounting firms such as the Reznick Group, KPMG, Price Waterhouse Coopers, and Ernst and Young. Many have successfully completed CPAs and have worked with the federal government's Internal Revenue Service.
Here are some of the success stories:
- NASP Mentors Lunch in New York CityNearly 40 Bowie State University business students attended the 11th Annual National Association Securities Professionals (NASP) Mentors Lunch in New York City on April 4, 2008. Professors Sunando Sengupta, Azene Zenebe and LaTanya Brown coordinated the trip with the assistance of The Finance and Economics Club. The trip was led by Anthony Nelson, dean of the School of Business.
- Winell H.C. Belfonte, 1986 graduate: CPA and partner at the Reznick Group, one of the five largest CPA firms in the Washington/Baltimore Metropolitan Area
- Jeffrey C. Womack, 1998 graduate: CPA and deputy assistant to the inspector general of the U.S. General Services Administration
- Tony Drummond, 1997 graduate: CPA and IRS tax auditor
- Tychelle Young, 1998 graduate: Senior auditor at the U.S. Department of Labor, auditing labor unions. Tychelle had the most steals and the highest batting average for the BSU softball team when she was a student athlete at BSU, and she holds several CIAA records.
- Eveka Galvan, 1995 graduate: CPA and senior manager at Price Waterhouse Coopers, the largest CPA firm in the world
- Jeff Wilson, 2006 graduate: Staff auditor at KPMG, one of the four largest CPA firms in the world. Jeff won a $2,000 award from Black Enterprise magazine as the winner of the Financial Fitness Contest.
- Deanna Davis, 2005 graduate: CPA and senior auditor for the Reznick Group. Deanna was NABA president of our student accounting club and won various scholarships and awards while at BSU.
- Rose Munene, 2001 graduate: CPA, MBA, and senior auditor at Ernst and Young, one of the four largest international CPA firms
- Tiarra Sollers, staff auditor for KPMG
- Rodney Whitfield, 1985 graduate: Chief financial officer (CFO) for Key Solutions Inc., a local technology consulting company
The above alumni are just a few examples of success from our accounting program. Their current salaries range from $50,000 to $150,000. Many of these alumni had internships while they attended BSU, and all of them are doing very well professionally and personally.