Dr. Euwanna Heard
Graduate Nursing Program Coordinator
If you are a registered nurse with a bachelor’s degree who wants to take your professional career to new heights with increased earning potential, the Bowie State University (BSU) Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program can prepare you to take the next step. Our expert faculty can help you transition into either an advanced practice nursing role or a nurse educator role to pursue your career goals.
Recognized among the nation’s best nursing master’s programs by the U.S. News & World Report Best Nursing School Master’s programs the BSU program provides an evidence-based and student-centered educational experience.
As you prepare to become a family nurse practitioner (FNP), you will engage with faculty and mentors from interdisciplinary health care fields such as pharmacy, epidemiology, and informatics. Your career can take many paths, providing primary care services for individuals across the lifespan. You may choose to establish a private practice, work in partnership with a physician or family nurse practitioner, or work in urgent care, specialty clinics, long-term care facilities, home-care, or hospital specialty units.
The critical need for nurse educators (NE) to teach our future generation of nurses continues to expand. If you have a passion for leading, educating, and developing new nurses, the nurse educator program at BSU will prepare you to excel. Career opportunities include faculty and leadership positions teaching in nursing programs at colleges and universities, patient teaching roles in specialty areas, leadership roles in health policy and decision-making and in nursing professional development.
The master’s, master’s/post-master’s certificate program at Bowie State University located in Bowie, Maryland is accredited by the:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400 Atlanta, GA 30326
The most recent accreditation decision made by the ACEN Board of Commissioners for the master’s, master’s/post-master’s certificate program is Continuing Accreditation.
- What You’ll Learn
- Program Requirements
- Admissions Requirements
- Nursing (MSN) Application Process
The Master of Science in Nursing program will prepare you for advanced practice and doctoral study. You will:
- Translate current research evidence to improve policies, procedures, and practices in clinical and educational settings.
- Employ communications technologies and information systems to improve outcomes in nursing education and in practice settings.
- Demonstrate organizational systems leadership in nursing education and in clinical practice to improve the quality of care to patients.
- Demonstrate high-quality nursing care and educational standards in the design and delivery of healthcare services to vulnerable and underserved populations.
- Incorporate legal and ethical principles in clinical practice and nursing education.
The Bowie State Advantage
- Convenient evening courses: Classes are offered in the evening on campus, online, or a combination of both.
- Face-to-face health assessment: Graduate nursing students have many hands-on demonstration and practice opportunities, which are integral to ensuring our students are prepared for the highly skilled off-campus practicum requirement.
- Simulation Resource Center: Hone your advanced health assessment skills in the fully-equipped examination suite or in one of our state-of-the-art simulation rooms equipped with high-fidelity manikins.
- On-campus practicum experience for the nurse educator student.
Student Snapshot: Darrick Cochran, MHA, BSN, RN
BSU Program: Master of Science in Nursing, Nurse Educator Class of 2022
Current Job: Nurse Manager, VA Medical Center, Washington, DC
Favorite Part of the Program: All aspects of the graduate nursing program at Bowie State University are PHENOMONAL!! My favorite part of the program was my nursing practicums. The practicum allowed me the opportunity to apply the skills and knowledge that I acquired throughout the program. In addition, it allowed me to share my experience as a Registered Nurse with undergraduate nursing students.
What Attracted you to Bowie State University: I was attracted to Bowie State University due to its innovative and transformational nursing program and the professional connection and trust of the faculty.
One Thing you Learned at BSU That has Impacted Your Life or Career: The knowledge and skills I have obtained at Bowie State has empowered me to be even more persistent in providing others the educational tools to be successful and live a healthy and prosperous life.
Advice for Prospective Students: "The future belongs to those who prepare for it today (Malcom X)." Bowie State University is the institution that will equip, encourage, empower, and provide a foundation for your future success.
Alumni Spotlight: Gabriela Amaya, MSN, CRNP, APRN, FNP-BC
BSU Program: Master of Science in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner Class of 2021
Current Job: Family Nurse Practitioner, MedStar Health
Favorite Part of the Program: The support from the faculty and staff was a key component to my success in the program. Despite the challenges brought by COVID 19, our face-to-face program was converted to online learning. The sudden transition was smooth and did not compromise the learning outcomes of the program.
What Attracted you to Bowie State University: Bowie is accredited by (ACEN) Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc.
One Thing you Learned at BSU That has Impacted Your Life or Career: Bowie has cultural diversity which gives our profession the opportunity to grow from multiple perspectives that have helped me to optimize patient care.
Advice for Prospective Students: Health care is a dynamic profession therefore, higher education will better equip you to assume greater responsibilities in patient care, leadership, management, or administrative roles. I was able to fulfill the country’s need for nurses and complete my education at the same time with the guidance given by the faculty. Their hard work and consideration for students has made it such a promising program designed for you to succeed.