Bowie State University is proud to participate in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program, also known Yellow Ribbon Program.
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 and applies to tuition and mandatory fees. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (see note) provides for room, board, books and supplies separately.
Yellow Ribbon Eligibility Requirements
- Only individuals entitled at the 100% benefit level (or their dependents using transferred entitlement)
- Individuals who served at least 36 months or more of active duty after September 10, 2001
- Individuals who served at least 30 continuous days on active duty and w ere discharged due to a service-connected disability.
- The student must apply and receive admission into a degree-seeking program at Bowie State University.
- The student must apply with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to receive education assistance benefits under the Post-9 /11 GI Bill® (also known as Chapter 33). Service members should apply using VA FORM 22-1990. The spouse or dependent of a service member should apply using VA FORM 22-1990e.
- Upon notification of approval by the VA, the student should submit a copy their Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the Office of the Registrar. Note: In lieu of the VA COE the service member may submit a copy of their eBenefits Entitlement Report.
- The student should notify the VA Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar of their eligibility and interest to receive the scholarship offered through Yellow Ribbon Program.
Awards and Waiting List
Bowie State University will contribute $ 1,000 per year to 10 students determined to be eligible for the VA Yellow Ribbon award.
Awards will continue as long as the student remains enrolled in good standing and maintains satisfactory academic progress . Participating students that withdraw or cease attendance from the University and are later readmitted will only be able to participate if funding is available. If funding is not available, students will be added to the waiting list.
When the program capacity has been reached, the University Certifying Official reserve s the right to maintain a waiting list of interested students.
NOTE: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by the VA is available at the official U.S. government Website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill