Caps and gowns? Photos? Maps and directions?
Students must apply for graduation by the established deadline for the term in which they intend to graduate. You must apply for graduation by the deadline even if you do not plan to participate in commencement.
Here’s what you need to know about applying for graduation:
- Application Process
- Application Deadlines
- Graduation Fee
- Review and Clearance Process
- Checking Your Graduation Status
Undergraduate and graduate students must apply for graduation by the deadline using Bulldog Connection to initiate the official review of your records.
Here’s how you apply for graduation:
- Pay Online
If you are paying online, use your student ID number as the receipt number.
Pay the undergraduate application fee
Pay the graduate application fee
Allow the next business day when applying for graduation.
- or -
Pay In Person
Pay at the Cashier’s Office between the hours of 8-4:30pm Monday-Friday. Please use the receipt number provided to you by the cashier when applying.
- Apply for Graduation
Apply (or re-apply) using Bulldog Connection by clicking on: Self-Service > Degree Progress/Graduation > Apply for Graduation. Enter the receipt number for your graduation fee when completing the application.
Having trouble? Contact the BSU Help Desk at 301-860-HELP.
You must apply for graduation by the appropriate deadline:
- Fall 2023 – Friday, October 6, 2023
- Spring 2024 - Friday, February 23, 2024
When you apply for graduation, you will need to pay a one-time fee based on whether you are an undergraduate or graduate student. That fee is automatically applied to future applications, if needed.
- Undergraduate Students: $75
- Graduate Students: $100
Review and Clearance Process
After submitting your graduation application, here’s what happens next:
Check your records in Bulldog Connection to assure all information is complete and correct.
- Review your academic record for all courses taken at BSU and all other institutions.
- Make sure your personal information is up to date to assure that your diploma is printed correctly and all important communications reach you. Review your name, address, email address, and major.
- Need to make corrections? Download the forms you need and submit them to Registrar’s Office:
- Changes your personal data? Use the Data Correction Form.
- Changes to your major? Use the Declaration/Change of Major Form.
- Questions or changes to your academic record? Use the Student Inquiry Form.
University Clearance Process
- Your academic department will review all courses taken and course substitutions to confirm completion of all requirements for the major.
- The Registrar’s Office will review all courses taken to confirm completion of all university requirements for graduation.
- The Student Accounts Office will review student financial records to confirm that all charges have been paid.
Checking Your Graduation Status
Notification of graduation review status will only be posted to your Bulldog Connection account. No email notification will be sent.
- After logging into your Bulldog Connection account, click on Self-Service > Degree Progress/Graduation. Statuses will show as Approved, Pending, Review, or Denied based on review. Pending (meaning students are on-track to graduating and finishing up remaining requirements/waiting on final grades) or Approved (meaning students have completed all requirements/final grades are posted) status is required in order to participate in Commencement.
- Statuses will not show as Approved until final grades are posted
- Students will not receive their diplomas until all Academic and Financial obligations have been met.
Special Note About Grades/Latin Honors
Because final grades are processed after Commencement, Latin Honors listed in the Commencement Ceremony Program and Cumulative GPAs are tentative, pending the submission of final grades of that semester.