Scholars build structures at Open Works in Baltimore
Scholars Studio Learning Communities
Inspire ∗ Engage ∗ Empower
Scholars Studio offers inclusive, community-oriented learning experiences that help students expand perspectives, make connections, and develop bold visions for the future. Each learning community or Studio presents a cohort of students the opportunity to explore a particular topic, problem, or theme through an interdisciplinary lens. Studios consist of 2-5 general education courses and provide hands-on, contextualized learning.
Here's what to expect in Scholars Studio:
- Select a Studio: Scholars Studio offers learning communities that explore a range of topics. Recently, Studios have explored the culture of food, black men in education, and athletes and activisim, among other topics. Learn more about current offerings here. Participants are required to enroll in all of the courses associated with the Studio. Each course will explore the community topic through its unique disciplinary lens. Most of Scholars Studio's courses fulfill general education requirements. ELSS's Counseling Services Specialist helps prospective scholars determine if Studio courses align with their academic plans. To enroll in a Studio, visit our registration page.
- Build community: Scholars Studio offers supportive learning environments. Participants can expect to build meaningful relationships with faculty and peers. Select Studios also include embedded tutors and mentors.
- Immerse in learning: Scholars Studio is not a passive experience. Students select Scholars Studio for its rich learning opportunities. Participants can expect to engage in hands-on learning, group conversations, off-campus co-curricular activities, and networking opportunities. Together these experiences promote deep learning.
- Complete a culminating project: All Studios challenge participants to work cooperatively to complete a final project. Participants have developed videos, poster presentations, land use proposals, fashion shows, and more. These assignments encourage participants to tap into their strengths and practice habits, skills, and processes that will serve them in their professional, academic, and personal lives.
- Rise to the occasion: Scholars Studio encourages students to discover and cultivate their strengths. Studios provide opportunities for students to take initiative and risk being great!